Springtime Portobello, Asparagus + Prosciutto Pizza with Balsamic Glaze.
Welp. It’s been a month since we last talked pizza. It’s time.
If you’re wondering about my pizza game plan, like you’re curious if I just open up my fridge, pull out a bunch of random (read: ready to expire) ingredients and throw them on top of silky dough, you’d be correct.
How do you know me so well?
Also, yesterday I got through the day with the Backstreet Boys pandora station. Since you know me so well, you’re probably not surprised. I had to tell you though. What IS surprising however is that my husband walked through the door, looked at me and started belting out the lyrics to Britney’s Toxic… practically in tune with what was coming out of the speakers. Well, sorta. He usually cringes when he walks through the door and finally hears whatever “abysmal lines that I like to call my favorite music” are blasting that day.
Toxic will never go out of style. Am I right or am I right?
Since I’m baring my soul, additionally I feel the need to admit that the prosciutto on this pizza was highly influenced by the crispy ham croque madames. (I can rhyme.) May have a current love affair with that. It’s like thinner slices of bacon that get so, so crunchy. It’s total comfort food. You can easily leave it off if you’re vegetarian too. I know how you roll.
What I think I love most about this pizza, however – besides the balsamic glaze – is that the asparagus spears get a bit crispy too. You know I like to roast the heck out of my vegetables, like roast until they are near death, and if you put super skinny spears on your pizza, they will roast perfectly. And if all this jazz isn’t your thing, I made asparagus pizzas last year with bacon and eggs that were, um… pretty darn good. I might make one tonight. Darn, it feels like I just made those yesterday. SLOW DOWN TIME.
- 1 batch of your favorite pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 pint of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 8 asparagus spears, ends removed and chopped into thirds
- 4 ounces prosciutto, torn
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely grated romano cheese
- balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Prepare dough 1-2 hours ahead of time. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place dough on a baking sheet (or pizza peel for a pizza stone) and form into the shape you desire. Brush with olive oil then cover in minced garlic. Top with half of the fontina cheese (I like to place some down first to act as “glue”), then evenly place shallots, mushrooms, asparagus, prosciutto and peas on the pizza. Top with the fresh mozzarella and remaining fontina.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove and cover with romano cheese, then take a spoon and drizzle balsamic glaze on top.
[P.S. You know, I post so much freaking pizza that I’m not sure if you want me to include the full dough recipe each time? Or simply link it. I feel boring and repetitive. What’s easier for you? What do you prefer? I mean, besides me shutting up.]