Let’s talk pizza night.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Or in my case, pizza night(S).

Because the guy in my life likes to keep things PLAIN and, well… plain, pizza night can’t be like, “fun” pizza night. There can be no fontina portobello pizza or apple bacon pizza or stuffed crust pizza or thai chicken pizza. There can be no crazy cheeses or non-meat toppings and certainly nothing sacrilegious like fruit or balsamic glaze. We can have the traditional mozzarella, with way too much sauce, an obnoxious amount of pepperoni, and maybe if we’re lucky, provolone and roasted red peppers. Oh, and these days it can only be made on a garlic bread crust. Because it is so necessary to drench your carbs in additional butter once a week.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really blame him though. As much as I love crazy-face pizza flavors, true pizza to me will always consist of piles of stringy melty, gooey cheese, sauce and crunchy crust. I’ve never been wild about pepperoni but I don’t throw a tantrum and will simply pick it off if I’m not feeling it. But sometimes I eat it. Most times I’m indecisive. All the time I’m a rather huge pain in the ass to live with. I even feel that way about myself.

The thing is? I want that traditional version of pizza once a week too. Well, frankly, I could probably eat it thrice a week. Whatever. But traditional? It’s comfort. It’s home. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Quite literally too.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

So… now we just have to have pizza nightS. With a big, fat S. Because what I love almost as much as that traditional meal is creating fantastic, sometimes weird and delectable pizzas with an array of flavors. It’s like there are endless options to experiment with and for an impatient, always bored and scattered food obsessed freak, that is music to my ears.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

This pizza could be eaten for breakfast, but since I’m elbow deep in a serious egg obsession, which I like to refer to as my eggsession, I made it for lunch. Seriously, it’s taking all my willpower to not consume like six poached eggs a day. [Gah. So good!] I love the versatility of eggs and how they instantly add great flavor and texture to different foods. I’m on my way out with asparagus, but roasted to perfection with cheese on bread is somewhat doable at this moment in my life. And crispy bacon? Well, that’s self explanatory. Duh.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas

makes 4 small pizzas

1 batch garlic bread pizza dough (I didn’t add the garlic or spices, but you can if you want!)

4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated fontina cheese

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

4 large eggs

8 asparagus spears, stems removed and chopped into pieces

Make dough as directed, then separate it into four equal balls. Roll or press each ball into a small circle, pressing down slightly more in the center to create a little “dent” – this is where the egg will go and it will help keep it from rolling off the dough. Place dough on a nonstick baking sheet.

While the dough is rising, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until just somewhat crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Reduce heat to low and add onion, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix cheeses together in a bowl.

Brush each pizza with olive oil, then cover with a sprinkling of cheese. Add a few spoonfuls of the onion + garlic, bacon, then place a few pieces of asparagus on each pizza. I placed mine in somewhat of a box around the center to help hold in the egg. Crack the egg and gently place it in the center. Some of the white will roll down the sides and that is completely fine! Top with a bit more cheese and some fresh black pepper.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until egg is cooked to your liking and cheese is golden.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Weird but good: dip this in BBQ sauce.

93 Responses to “Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 10, 2012 @ 11:51 am

I posted about personal pizzas a few weeks ago…love the “personal” nature of them, that way I can put as much pineapple or hot pepper flakes or whatever random toppings I want on it…and no one else can complain. Or steal the last piece. It’s personal, i.e. all mine! :)

kristi — May 10, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Weird… I’m in over-indulgent egg mode too. Last night it was spaghetti carbonara. This morning it was poached eggs & canadian bacon on toast. And last weekend – mushroom risotto with asiago cheese & a poached egg on top. Divine. You should make that & take pretty pics. That’s a challenge because even with long pointy elegant chives as a garnish, mushroom risotto is not very photogenic.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — May 10, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

I love pizza with egg! Or pretty much anything with egg. And asparagus! YUM!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — May 10, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Ummm how is it you don’t have a cookbook yet? I mean C’MON!?

• Elena — May 11th, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

Agreed! Major! Jessica you should totally make one so we can drool over that and not our keyboards! But seriously, I’m considering it to be a major bestseller! And it would be cool to meet your imaginary friends…!

Jen Marie — May 10, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

So, so so pretty!!! I really want to make these! I love the fun toppings, but the egg just makes it gorgeous!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — May 10, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

I want this right now! All of my favorites on a pizza! And just for me! Super yummy!

Cassie — May 10, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I love mini pizzas!

Quiche-ing Queen — May 10, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

I wish this would have been my lunch today instead. Looks so delicious. Yummy!

Lynna — May 10, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

ohh, this reminds me that i need to make some sort of pizza with an egg on it! >__< & this sounds awesome. well, aside from the asparagus… LOL

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 10, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Uh yeah… I need personal pizzas in my life right now.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 10, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

i was about to say there better be multiple pizza nights…i don’t think i could live with just one!

Chloe — May 10, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

These look AMAZING!!! I had to stop myself from drooling haha

Leslie @ healthybybalance — May 10, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Have I mentioned how glad I am that I found your site! These pizzas look so pretty! What a good idea on the flavor combo

Rachel — May 10, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

I have never had pizza with egg, but have always been interested. I love eggs, in any way possible. And pizza. Soooooo, yeah… I will surely be trying this one out! :) Thanks for sharing!!

Tracy — May 10, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

We should have pizza nightS too…my hubby likes my “everything” pizza with pepperoni, green pepper, and onion, but I love to experiment with crazy ingredients like you. This egg pizza looks awesome!!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 10, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

This pizza sounds like pure deliciousness!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 10, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

I want some of that!!!!

Clare — May 11, 2012 @ 5:33 am

YUM.. love the sound of this ;)

Katie @ OhShineOn — May 11, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Brilliant… You did it again, Jess. You’ve got a real heart-stopping, eyelash-battering, mouth-watering recipe here that I need to try basically as soon as possible.

Sue Hawthorn — May 11, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Hey these look gorgeous. We love asparagus chopped on pizza. A little goes a long way too. Lots more asparagus recipes at http://www.asparagus-lover.com/asparagus-recipes.com Happy Asparagus Season Everyone!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 11, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I love making personal pizzas, but this combination certainly tops anything that I have made – the egg is stupendous!

Danielle's Dish — May 11, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

This looks sooooo delicious! I love eggs.

What type of camera do you use? Your pictures always look so clear. :)

• Jessica — May 11th, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Nikon D5000!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — May 11, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Gorgeous. I’ve tried putting eggs on pizzas before and I always have a hard time getting them cooked right. These look absolutely perfect!

Jennifer — May 11, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Looks fan-bloody-tastic! Party on with your eggsession!

Helen (ThursdayNightDinner.org) — May 12, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Asparagus and bacon is one of the best combinations I’ve found. Will have to try these, thanks!

My Slice of Sky — May 12, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Oh! This sounds good. I love pizza! Never even thought of putting eggs on top of them. I often bake eggs on top of my rice or breakfast casseroles…but on top of pizza? Definitely going to have to try this!!

I just updated a fun pizza idea too! Check it out. :)

RecipeNewZ — May 12, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

I love those breakfast pizzas with eggs – I’ve been fascinated with this idea for a while now, and your individual pizzas look absolutely gorgeous! And your garlic pizza dough sounds amazing. Something that I certainly have to try soon.

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched only this Monday. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

Megan Q — May 12, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

YUM. I will never get sick of pizza nightS… I will be trying this combo veryvery soon

Ryan — May 13, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

I’m making this for a Mother’s Day dinner since she wanted something homemade. Would it turn out alright if I adapted it to fit a baking sheet instead of ‘personalizing’ the pizzas? There’s five of us to feed.

Megan — May 14, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

I made my own version of this a couple nights ago, and it was amazing! I used your garlic pizza dough recipe, and put pesto, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, a mix of green and greek olives and an egg on top.

Caroline — May 15, 2012 @ 11:33 am

Looks amazing! I love asparagus, and I love pizza, so I’m sure I’ll love this!

Christina E — May 18, 2012 @ 8:55 am

I have to say…these pizzas were amazing!!! Although I did tweek the recipe a bit to suit what I had at home, (I used whole wheat pita bread, skim mozzarella cheese, chicken bacon) it came out tasting fabulous. I have to make some more and store in the freezer for a quick and easy meal.

Congrats!

Tina CMW — October 17, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Speaking of poached egs…something I like to do..a baby greens salad, baby spinach, bacon, grated cheese, with a poached egg on top (OK, two poached eggs) and fig balsamic dressing, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and a hit of curry powder.

Kim P — January 24, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

i love personal pizzas, omg i love them here is what i ate past three days: eggs, bacon, 2 quarts of ice cream and my pride.
    i be stinkin up the house, but my hubby don’t care cause im prego hehehehehe I’M SO CUTE
    STFU

1. Pingback: Meal Plan 5/14 - 5/18

2. Pingback: Weekend Things - Recipe: Breakfast Pizza | Cooking for My Kids

3. Pingback: A little kooky « College Kid Yoga

4. Pingback: Scratch Pizza: Bacon, Egg, and Asparagus « HYPEBEASTEATS | eat good, stay fresh!

5. Pingback: Springtime Mushroom, Asparagus + Prosciutto Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is