Spinach and Red Pepper Bacon Wrapped Eggs.
It’s finally spring and prime brunch time.
Brunch isn’t brunch unless friends and cocktails are involved. It’s true.
Yesterday I mentioned that we’d be talking brunch all week, kicking it off with the bellini bar and a lil brunch video. And since it’s Monday you probably need a bellini so cheers. Have one. I’m partnering with my pals at DeLallo foods this week to bring you some of my favorite brunch dishes, and this is numero uno. The DeLallo store just happens to be a few minutes from my house and saying I’d like to live inside there is an understatement. Talk about all the foods.
So. I can hardly take how much I love these little breakfast bites. You totally don’t need a fork and knife to consume them – you can absolutely hold one in your hands and take a bite. You might just burn your fingertips and lips off. WORTH IT though.
And the egg is up to you. I think the cracked eggs make for a prettier presentation, but scrambled are also great and a good option for fast breakfasts. You can make these ahead of time, store them in the fridge and warm them up for a few seconds if you’re into that kind of crazy quick breakfast.
There is just so much freaking flavor. I like to use a piece of bacon big enough that it gets wrapped around the muffin tin once and a little excess can be pressed on to the bottom of the pan. And you want to cook the bacon a bit first – just to render some fat so it gets crispy in the oven.
Inside the bacon bundle goes…
A bunch of garlic sautéed spinach! … in bacon grease!!
My favorite sun dried red peppers!
An egg! Salt! Pepper!
And lots of exclamation points. They are delicious, in case you didn’t know.
On top is seasoned arugula piled high, just for a little kick.
And yes, I know I can’t stop talking about these peppers. It’s been like six months. Actually probably longer. They have ruined me when it comes to regular roasted reds. I mean, I still like those, but these? Ugh. THESE. Are just perfection. They are semi dried so they have a slight chew, where as regular roasted reds can still hold a bit of water. You know? They are also tangy in this fabulous almost sweet but not so sweet way. We buy jars by the boatload. Actually, last week I looked in the fridge because my current favorite lunch is avocado toast -> tangy reds -> goat cheese and we had three open jars. This is probably a testament to their wonderful flavor but also a testament to how we kinda sorta maybe live like college students. Embarrassing. Grow me up.
Oh. The only way these could get better is if we slathered some goat cheese on top before the arugula. Yeah? We’re so doing that.
Spinach and Red Pepper Bacon Wrapped Eggs
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- 8 ounces spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar sweet and tangy red peppers chopped
- 12 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until the fat is just rendered but the bacon is still soft and pliable. After releasing some of the fat, place the bacon on a paper towel to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Keep the skillet over low heat – remove some of the bacon grease if necessary, you want about 1 to 2 tablespoons remaining. Place the spinach in the skillet with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir, cooking until wilted. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute, then turn off the heat.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray. Place the bacon inside each muffin cup, wrapping it into a circle and if there is any overlap, pressing it down into the center. Spoon a bit of spinach into the bottom of the muffin in (in the center of the bacon) followed by a few pieces of red peppers. Crack each egg overtop each muffin tin. Sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the eggs are set and cooked to your desired doneness. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, toss together the arugula, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Serve the egg cups with the arugula on top.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
so many exclamation points.
63 Comments on “Spinach and Red Pepper Bacon Wrapped Eggs.”
Pingback: Weekend Brunching!
This could be low carb depending on the roasted peppers…..hmmmmm. Im going to make these……
This sounds amazing! You had me at bacon and arugula. :)
Pingback: 112 Lightened Up Recipes for the New Year | How Sweet It Is
Pingback: Five Things Friday: Recipes, Workouts, Blog Posts & More - Nicole Culver
Pingback: well, hello monday... - Burpees for Breakfast
Pingback: 18 Weeks of Healthier Meal Ideas! 126 of my Favorite Weeknight Meals. – Fruitide