Black Plum Tarts with Brown Butter and Sea Salt.
OMG I’m on a tart bender and I cannot stop. I know. It’s bad.
Has pregnancy made me boring? Like boring-er than usual?
I promise this is the last one. No really. The last, last one.
I’ve shoved tarts in your face for weeks what with this heirloom tomato and feta tart and these beet and goat cheese tarts and now these plum tarts and I might have even made another tart that I don’t remember. Oh! This ginger peach galette which is kinda like… a giant tart. Sort of.
I’m about thirty seconds away from making a chocolate fudge and pistachio tart but I won’t do that to you. I might do it to me. But not to you.
Anyhoo, I solemnly swear that this is the LAST ONE. Again. (but I might have gone a little buck wild with plums lately so you may see more of those. Oops.)
I just love these SO much. I got the idea in last month’s issue of Bon Appetit and was sold 1. because I love puff pastry so much that I could bake a sheet and eat it plain but really 2. because these are embarrassingly simple. Um. Puff pastry. Plums. Brown butter. Maybe a little sugar if you want. Some sea salt.
I’m actually not sure of another dessert that is so easy but seems slightly complicated. I guess you could make your own puff pastry. If you’re into that sort of thing. It’s almost like eating fruit for dessert but it’s SO MUCH BETTER than that. Because we know that plain fruit is not dessert. Never ever. At least not legit dessert. It’s fruit. It’s not dessert. It’s quite frankly just an extension of your meal.
So yep, this is the last slightly boring but really easy and fantastic dessert I will give you for a while. From here on out everything might be intensely chocolate covered and bacon wrapped (hint hint) because I’m in that mode. But! Let’s just say that this little treat would be perfect for Labor Day parties, because you can make a gigantic pan and watch while everybody goes to town. Or you can choose something from THIS LIST. Yeeeaaassss. Do it.
Wait a minute. Since when do I like pastry things? Life is so weird right now.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten
- 3 black plums, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, browned
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the puff pastry sheet on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Slice the plums into even slices and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar over top and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place the plums in clusters of 3 or 4 on the tars – you want to do them in a tic-tac-toe shape on the pastry so it’s easy to cut once baked. Drizzle a bit of the brown butter over top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and golden. Once finishing, drizzle the remaining brown butter over top and sprinkle the plums with sea salt. Slice into squares and serve immediately.
fridays are meant for brown butter!