Marinated Kale and Whipped Ricotta Pizza.
How weird would it be if my new favorite pizza included something GREEN?
I mean, usually I wax poetic (HA) about how I am the most boring-est pizza eater on the planet, forcing any and all around me to order their delivery box completely PLAIN with just cheese because toppings are for fools.
Okay not really. Toppings are for cool people, I of which am not one.
This pizza isn’t packed with tons of toppings per se, but it is packed with two very delicious things:
Whipped ricotta. You could probably do whipped feta if you’re feeling frisky. THAT would be wild.
And marinated kale.
It’s really such a SIMPLE pizza but it tastes incredible. I use the chili garlic paste again on the kale (oh man are you so sick of that yet?) and then some fontina cheese so this is totally just a mash up of some things I adore. Truth.
But together… whoa whoa whoa. Ridiculous.
The kale also gets crispy in places which I freak over. That’s the one way that I truly love kale – like, actually LOVE it. Raw kale salad? Meh. It’s okay. Better with fried chicken.
But most raw kale salads? I’m just like… do less.
This year I’m going to resolve to try to have a FEW extra things on my pizza, if only because it gives me another vehicle to get in some veggies. And another excuse to eat pizza. Because if I’m going to have vegetables for dinner, well, then… I’ll just make pizza. See? I win.
Marinated Kale and Whipped Ricotta Pizza
- 1 1/8 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 head of kale, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmigiano-regianno cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- crushed red pepper flakes for topping
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape (sometimes I use baking sheets and do rectangles or free form pizzas – this specific dough will yield one pizza large enough to feed about 3-4 people) and place on a baking sheet or pizza peel. Place the towel back over the dough and let sit in the warm place for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. (If I use my pizza stone, I heat my oven to 475 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. If you’re just using a baking sheet, follow the directions below for baking and set to 425 degrees.)
- Chop the kale into slices and shreds with your knife, then place it in a bowl. Add the olive oil, honey and chili garlic paste then toss well to coat. Massage with your hands for 2 to 3 minutes, then let it sit until ready to use.
- Add the ricotta to a food processor and blend until it’s smooth and creamy. Add in the cheese, salt and pepper, pureeing again until combined.
- Brush the pizza dough with the olive oil. Spread 1/2 of the whipped ricotta on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch at the edge of the crust. Cover the ricotta with the shredded kale, then add scoops of the leftover ricotta on top of the kale randomly. Sprinkle the fontina on top. Bake for 25 to 30 minute (or a little less if using the stone) or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove and let cool slightly before serving. Top with the extra parmigiano-regianno and crushed red pepper flakes.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
81 Comments on “Marinated Kale and Whipped Ricotta Pizza.”
Holy yum! This pizza is going straight to the top of my game day menu! Looks amazing!
Kale is the best on pizza. Well, so is arugula. And whipped any kind of cheese! This looks so fab.
This looks absolutely heavenly, I love pizza sans the tomato sauce!
Do you think this would work with spinach as well? Kale is kind of hard to come by where I live but this recipe absolutely makes me drool!
Oh my gosh, the crispy kale bits? I’m in. And that last steam photo…. I want it framed on my wall. :)
Everything about this is magical. Kale on pizza? That means I can eat the whole pie right?
And whipped ricotta?! I am obsessed with it, but have only have it in a dessert.
Life is forever changed. Pinned!
Whipped ricotta is officially my new favorite condiment!
Gah I could eat this for breakfast right about now!
I even do this with arugula and add a little hot Capicola.
I never though of adding honey to my dough, I grew up eating North End Italian
Is this dough, bready or chewy?
I am obsessed with your whipped feta once I finally tried it after seeing you use it so often. Back in December I had some leftover ricotta from lasagna making and decided to channel you and whip it to top some pasta. It was delicious :) My money is that it is delicious on pizza as well!
I loooove kale on pizza. i am making this fo sho.
This is about to become my favorite pizza too! Whoa nelly…amazing!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm my kinda comfort!
Now that, is a pizza recipe I can stand behind — and devour. Yessss.
YESSSSS i want this with all of my soul. Amazing, Jessica!!
I can’t even! This is INSANE! I need it right now. People need to invent computers you can lean into and grab stuff, because I would take this whole pizza.
When you said the kale gets crispy that just totally sold me right there.
You really hit the nail on the head here. Vegetables are best when they include pizza!
Kale is the best on pizza. I’m so excited to try this recipe. So delicious! So inspirational!
Thinking about eating this pizza makes my palms sweaty and I think I’m a little bit of breath. Is this what true love feels like? So so perfect, I can’t even handle it!
Just bought the chili garlic paste (which I had never heard of) to make your roasted squash with feta and herbs and it is incredible! Thanks for giving me some other ideas of how to use it up :)
GENIUS! I’ve still yet to try your garlic chili paste, but I’m super tempted now!
MARINATED kale? Wish I knew about that sooner in life! That’s fabulous!
Oh my god I just finished a workout and now all I want is that entire pizza in my mouth NOW. That creamy ricotta and salty chili garlic… I can taste it now :)
I don’t even like kale, but this sounds amazing!
OMG!! You may have just reinvented the white pizza we all know and love. I’m totally obsessed with this pizza… I mean SO much flavor!!! And red sauce + toppings IS for cool people, I of which am not one either. :) White pizza for the win!!!
Wow, looks heavenly!!!
This looks so delicious! Where did you get your pizza stone?
love that last photo! :D
Try using only 1/2 tsp yeast and letting it rsise 6 hours. Then bake hot about 550 on pizza stone. Tuscan Grandma gave me that tip. It develops a slightly different flavor and crisp texture with the slow rise. My kids just love it.
Pingback: Friday Favorites | A Tasty Life
It’s what dreams are made of. My dreams. Well, that and high-waisted pants.
I haven’t had white pizza in so long but this definitely has me swooning. Love the fresh kale mixed in and dressed in garlic? Yes, please!
This pizza with whipped feta…I think I would DIE.
Ugh. Everything I make of yours is phenomenal. I cannot wait to try this recipe! I love pizza. And Kale. Together = wonderful.
I’ve tried. Fried, pesto, pizza, salads. And I just can’t do kale. But I can do whipped ricotta and it would be great with so many things. Sun dried tomatoes and black olives are in my pantry and they sound about right. I’ve been on a huge Naan bread kick for pizza; I’m sure yours is better but mine is faster. As in lunch in 5. :)
Yummy pizza toppings…try artichoke hearts & onion. Perfect combo. We order it EVERYTIME we get pizza at Bella Notte in the Strip. YUM!!!
Do you make the chili garlic paste or buy it somewhere pre-made?
Pizza topping heaven! I adore the whipped feta and actually added ricotta to it when I last made it…so this is right up my alley. Yum!
Made this tonight. Added bacon. The hubs kept saying “wow this is good”. This is a winner for sure!
Pingback: Reads and Recipes (January 17)
I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.
This is my favorite pizza with kale instead of spinach. I cannot wait to try this. I love white pizzas with greens.
This pizza looks beautiful and i am dreaming about the crunch the kale adds.
I’m so excited to try this recipe. So delicious! So inspirational!
Pingback: The 50 Recipes Every Cheese Lover Needs | Gymrat Fitness
YAY for greens! I actually just made white broccoli pizza last weekend and it was the BOMB. Both broccoli and kale with ricotta make an awesome combo!
Pingback: Paleo Sweet Potato Flatbread with Caramelized Onions, Basil, and Balsamic Reduction
Pingback: What's dishing on the blogs: Bread and pizza - Pittsburgh News
Pingback: Weekly Links: 01.25.15 | foodiecology
Pingback: Weekend Reflections; Preparing for the Blizzard | lindsayylovee