I don’t even know what to saaaay.

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

This whipped feta is single-handedly changing my life. And I mean, like reallyreallyreally changing my life, in ways that include consuming (very small) portions of vegetables along with it because it’s that good. Not like in the when-I was-12-I-stood-outside-of-Limited-Too-in-a-mint-and-navy-flannel-pleated-plaid-skirt-being-a-”model” type of way. That really didn’t take me… anywhere. Fortunately.

For weeks I was inflated with the idea of whipped feta. I have no idea why; I don’t know where I saw it, read about it or heard of it, but I certainly never tasted it and wasn’t really sure that it was a thing. Thank goodness it’s a thing.

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

You know where I actually think the thought came from? Crumbled feta is a pain. I mean, it’s a delicious pain, but it’s so, well, crumbly that if it’s inside a pita or on top of a pizza, it rolls right off. The crumbles crumble into even tinier crumbles. Even on a salad, it’s nearly impossible to stab each little chunk of feta with a fork and who is going to eat a salad with a spoon? Exactly.

Enter whipped feta. OMG. It is, in two words, freaking awesome.

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

As you can clearly see, I slathered it on toast. If I’m being perfectly honest, this is the way I ate almost the entire batch. So simple. So creamy and fabulous! I can’t take it. Ugh. And so much flavor.

I attempted the recipe three different ways: with regular cream cheese, whipped cream cheese and Greek yogurt. The whipped cream cheese easily won out. Maybe I’m just a sucker for anything whipped, but oh well. It’s just… yes.

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

Perhaps my favorite thing about this whole mess is that you can flavor it any way you like. With just these two ingredients, it tastes like… creamy feta. Mine did not need any additional seasoning, but you make the call. You could add roasted red peppers or a ton of herbs. You could even make this incredible dip into a whipped version, which is definitely at the top of my to-do list. You can add it to a salad or soup – heck, even spread it on pizza or use it like hummus. And the best part is that right after whipping? It’s sort of warm and super spreadable. But it’s just as great coming out of the fridge too.

Okay. What I’m really trying to say is that your Wednesday should be consumed by this activity. Whip your feta.

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

How To Make Whipped Feta

Yield: makes about 3/4 cup

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled and at room temperature
3 ounces whipped cream cheese, at room temperature

Directions:

Add crumbled feta to a food processor and pulse until small crumbs remain. Add in cream cheese and puree for 4-5 minutes, scraping down the sides when necessary, until feta is super creamy. Serve as desired.

I topped mine with roasted tomatoes, fresh herbs and roasted garlic oil.

[adapted from ina garten]

How To Make Whipped Feta I howsweeteats.com

Whip it good.

213 Responses to “How To Make (Amazing!) Whipped Feta.”

Shari Kelley — February 18, 2013 @ 2:04 am

This falls under the category of “Why didn’t I think of that?” So simple, yet so brilliant. Thank you for sharing it.

Demeter — February 19, 2013 @ 4:53 am

I’m reading you from the other part of the world,where feta is born and I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy everything you post!You have such a fresh and ingenious view on everything!And I’m always touched when you include mediterranean food.This spread rocks,it kinda reminds me of a traditional feta spread we have here(instead of cream cheese we only add olive oil and vinegar until creamy),just add green peppers to the mix and you’ll get the idea:)

• Lola — February 24th, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

How much olive oil and vinager

Sherry — February 19, 2013 @ 7:01 am

I have a five pound block of feta just dying to be flogged, er, whipped in the fridge! Thanks so much for coming up with this….I can’t wait to try it on an herbed bagel!

Magda — February 19, 2013 @ 7:06 am

In Greece we make various dips by whipping feta with strained yoghurt. It’s a very traditional way of making different kinds of accompaniments to meats and fish. One of the most traditional ones is this spicy one. http://mylittleexpatkitchen.blogspot.nl/2012/10/the-tyrokafteri.html
    Your version looks amazing, Jessica!

• Carole — August 1st, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

Thanks for this! It sounds fabulous. :-)

Manju Sethia — February 20, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

this recipe sounded delicious but after making it and eating it found no words to describe how super fabulous this was . My whole family fell in love with me again . Thank you so much for sharing

Madame Fromage — February 21, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

Wow, I don’t know what to say either, except: HOLY CROW, THIS LOOKS FANTASTIC! I have a big ol’ tub of Bulgarian feta in my fridge, and now I know what to do with it.

Yvearl — February 21, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

So incredibly simple, but sounds perfect!!!!

Sunita B — February 26, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

Delicious. I added some plain Greek yogurt to the mix, so good! Thanks for sharing!

Colette @ JFF! — February 27, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

HOW did I miss this one??

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — March 7, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

Hell yeah!

Johanna — March 12, 2013 @ 5:48 am

I wanna bite in that bread with the tomatoes!! And I wanna dip my fingers in the bowl of whipped feta creme.. Your photos are so yummy and kind of sexy ;)
    And, btw: I mostly DO eat my salads with a spoon, because I’m too lazy (or ravenous?) to pick for seeds, leaves and crumbs with my fork :) :)

alyssa @ cogs and cupcakes — March 14, 2013 @ 9:06 am

I made this with Mediterranean feta for the base of an asparagus tart. AWESOME. The leftover dip was the perfect pre-meal snack with pita chips!

emily — March 22, 2013 @ 5:44 pm

i’ve been dying to make this and finally did tonight! so glad i did! i put it on toasted ciabatta bread with a layer of pesto and some roasted tomatoes. yum! i can’t wait to take see what my guests think! thanks for the great recipe!

Nicole Simon — April 1, 2013 @ 7:27 am

You could also check your feta supplier for the creamy feta kind which is still a bit solid, but spreads very easily on it’s own. ;) At least here in Berlin you can buy a variety of feta and it is because I do not like the crumbly stuff, I always go with the creamy one.

Mommalacks — May 4, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

This has been my go-to appi for years with the addition of roasted garlic and minced rosemary! Incredible on everything!

Cheri — June 9, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Great idea to blend it with cream cheese! Here’s the recipe I always use, from the fabulous restaurant Oleana in Cambridge — give it a try!

Domonique | a bowl full of simple — June 27, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

Can’t wait to whip it, whip it real good!
    Love these pics and love your enthusiasm!

Theresa @ Two Much Fun — June 29, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

This was so delicious that my little three-year olds were eating it off the egg beaters! We made this to go along with your Parmesan Quinoa Patties. Thank you so much.

The Wise Hummingbird- Marina Gallovitch — July 5, 2013 @ 10:15 am

In 1978, when i was 3, my Greek father tried to get us to eat feta. I have this vivid memory of him putting blue cheese Philadelphia cream cheese in the blender with feta. He would spread it on toast hoping we would love feta as much as he did. Unfortunately, I only started eating feta 10 years ago (shameful for a
    Greek!) Thanks for this lovely post and bringing back this memory for me.

Lisa — July 5, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I loved every single bit of this post, and even more so after reading the last line.

poppinga — July 7, 2013 @ 1:28 am

you had me at whipped feta.

deloom — July 8, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

Hold me back! I want to dive into that feta! This looks scrumptious! I’ll have to make it later today. Thank you for sharing! <3

Carole — August 1, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

I’m not sure why, but I would never have considered whipping feta. Why not? I don’t know. It seems so simple really.

I’m not a cream cheese person, so would probably use Mascarpone (for me, yes, there is a difference), or try the Greek yogurt just for kicks.

This sounds fabulous w/ tomatoes fresh from the garden. Oh yea.

Thanks for sharing. :-)

Amanda — August 4, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Made this last night– it is amazing! Thank you for another fab recipe!

Danielle — September 24, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

Question–Can i make this the night before? I want to make sure it will keep OK…What do you think?

Meseidy — October 25, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

This looks FREAKING AMAZING!!! I can see this spread all over stuff.

jan bradley — November 27, 2013 @ 1:29 am

I’m going to give this a try tomorrow. I make goat milk feta and chevre so I’m going to use that instead of cream cheese and just whip the 2 together. If it’s great I’ll be serving it on Thursday (thanksgiving) and I’ll let you know. I was looking for a feta based dip or spread.

Elizabeth B — January 12, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

I first tried whipped feta at The Purple Pig in Chicago- It was the most amazing thing I ever ate! This had marinated cucumbers on top. Seriously, one of the best things I ever ate. The chef submitted the recipe and it’s online.

Kelly Pettinger — July 30, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

I first discovered spreadable feta when I lived in Australia and thought I had died and gone to gastronomical heaven. It’s that good. Sadly, when I moved back to the States, I could no longer find this epicurean delight. It was briefly available in select stores and has since disappeared. Thank you so much for posting this recipe – I’m sure I will spend the next few days basking in the glory that is whipped feta on anything. And everything. I mean seriously everything, like toast and pretzels and pasta and chips and cereal and soup and maybe even ice cream….

Susan — September 18, 2014 @ 12:48 pm

Ladies and Gents,
    Did you know you can BUY creamy feta? Surprise! I was in the Middle Eastern market the other day picking up falafel and shwarmas for dinner and walked over to the refrigerated food and saw what I thought was the crumbly-type feta so I bought some. When I got home and opened it, it was creamy. I’ve been using it in my salad but came here to find out what else I might do with it. Hint: If you have a Middle Eastern store in your area it’s well worth it to buy your couscous, feta, middle eastern recipe stuff there — it’s authentic and considerably cheaper than the regular grocery store prices! Enjoy!

Nicola — September 19, 2014 @ 8:19 am

Oh dear goodness!!! Why did I have to see this at the start of a long work day???!!! TORTURE!!!

1. Pingback: Stuff and Thangs to Eat During The Walking Dead Season Finale

2. Pingback: A few of my favourite things… | Love & Paris

3. Pingback: Fab Finds Tuesday ♥ » Just 5 More Minutes

4. Pingback: Pea Pesto | 124 park

5. Pingback: 15 Different, Delicious FETA Recipes | Green Vision

6. Pingback: Currently | consider it all joy

7. Pingback: Whipped Feta Strawberry Crostini - Bites of Bri

8. Pingback: Schöne Sachen | Katzen & Spatzen

9. Pingback: Summer Chickpea Salad with Honey Garlic Lime Vinaigrette | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: How to Make Whipped Feta | Food Stalker

11. Pingback: Whipped Feta Dip with Thyme & Garlic

12. Pingback: Parmesan Pesto Whipped Feta | Peas And Carrots

13. Pingback: Easy Dessert: Salty and Sweet Caramelized Figs - Start With Four Walls

14. Pingback: Greek Curly Fries with Whipped Feta

15. Pingback: Sausage and Hash Brown Pie | RVA Rebelle Chic

16. Pingback: Whipped feta cucumber bites | The Clean Project

17. Pingback: What I Ate Last Week #16 | Tastefully Gluten Free

18. Pingback: The Goods - Mountain Mama Cooks

19. Pingback: Homemade Chicken Pitas with Jalapeno Whipped Feta & Quick Tzatziki | The Engineered Palate

20. Pingback: Whipped Garlic Feta Dip | susanlaury