BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce.
Just look at all this green!
Who am I? What’s my name? Where is my chocolate and pizza dough and cheese? I don’t even know me anymore.
Don’t worry. I’ll spare you the omg-I-used-to-love-PF-Changs-lettuce-wraps-in-high-school-so-I-made-these speech. It’s the truth though. The love stems from there. I mean, were lettuce wraps even a thing before then? Probably. Not in my bubble.
The highlight of my life right now is STILL the fact that we got some outdoor furniture and can eat stuff like this outside. YES! How is it already Memorial Day this week? How is 2015 close to halfway over? Are you living life? I think I opened my eyes and it was May. I think I’m going to have a mojito and wake up in July. I don’t think I’m going to cook one thing that isn’t on the grill this week or this month.
Also, how many questions can I ask you on a Monday morning? Are you a morning person? Do you not want to speak until 11:23am? Just HOW depressed are you that Mad Men is over?
I realize this looks eerily similar to the grilled salad that I shared exactly one week ago, but I swear it was just a coincidence. I mean, they are TOTALLY different. This one has pineapple! And BBQ sauce! And a drizzle!
You know. So different.
P.S. For the millionth time, I have to tell you how crazy I am over chicken at the moment. I still want ALL the boneless skinless thighs and I find myself buying embarrassing quantities of it each week at the store. What are you doing with it? Something crazy? Tell me.
Okay, broken record rant over.
Coupled with my current pineapple (especially when caramelized) obsession? This is the PERFECT combo. Golden, saucy chicken, caramely pineapple, a few crunchy cashews and folded together in a crisp, refreshing lettuce leaf. It’s, like, the one time I can maybe forego a taco. Maybe. The sweet and savory thing is on point. The cooling, creamy drizzle on top complements every ingredient like a dream, unless of course you think cilantro tastes like soap. If so, try basil or even parsley. I certainly would not want you to eat a dishwasher lettuce wrap.
Also! Do you know what would be fantastic in this? Grilled corn.
Yeah, that’s coming back full force so I’m just warning you now before I make approximately 34 recipes with it this summer. But really! Wouldn’t it be delicious? Of course.
Now let’s stuff our face with lettuce wraps. I like you.
BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cubed pineapple, roughly same size as chicken pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cashews
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 1/3 cup freshly torn cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, leaves torn off
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce, leaves torn off
- limes, for serving
greek yogurt cilantro drizzle
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup freshly torn cilantro
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, flipping once or twice, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the chicken and place it in a bowl. Add the onion and brown sugar, stirring well to remove any brown bits from the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir in the pineapple and garlic. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes more, stirring often. Add the cashews and stir. Add the chicken back into the skillet and stir in the BBQ sauce. Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, I like to put a piece of green leaf lettuce over the iceberg. You don’t need to do this but I like how it makes the wrap more “sturdy.” I like the iceberg for the refreshing crunch. I also love using butter lettuce! Add some sliced avocado into the lettuce leaves, then top with a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture. Add the green onions, cilantro and a drizzle of BBQ sauce. Finish off with the drizzle of the yogurt cilantro sauce.
greek yogurt cilantro drizzle
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until pureed. Drizzle over lettuce wraps.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
All over the place today.
79 Comments on “BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce.”
Pingback: 5 Recipes For the Month of June - Cookbook
Pingback: 17 New Summery Recipes Guaranteed To Make Your Dinner Guests Rave - Viral Posts Ninja!
Pingback: 17 Recipes You Can't Go Through The Summer Without Trying At Least Once - Viral Posts Ninja!
Pingback: Healthy Red Hot Summer Recipes You Need To Try - Red Hot Sunglasses Style File
I broke my ankle and my dear husband made this incredibly tasteful wrap.
The blend of chicken and pineapple is terrific.
Pingback: BBQ Chicken, Pineapple Lettuce Wrap, Shrimp Kabob, Mango
Pingback: What I’m Cooking Right Now | The Effortless Chic
Pingback: Food | moomblr!
I made these for dinner last night. I loved everything but the lettuce. I had the leftovers for dinner tonight in soft organic white corn tortillas, and I much preferred the tortillas to the lettuce.
This will sound like a dumb question, but how much would this dish suffer without the avocado? I am taking dinner to some friends and want to bring this along with my corn and avocado salad, so don’t want avocado overkill. It wouldn’t be too much for my husband and I but when I’m bringing for others….? Would you sub something else, just leave it out, or do you feel it is necessary for the flavor experience?! Thanks so much!
Pingback: Foodie Crushes | Muriel Makes Magic
It is insane how delicious these are. Despite a longer list of ingredients, they are totally worth making. Yum!
Pingback: 9 Salads You Need To Try Immediately | Tanimura & Antle Family Farming
Oh my gracious. can I just say I finally made these, and they were AMAZING! Also, your iceberg/leafy green combination was beyond perfect, and it was my first successful lettuce wrapping that didn’t completely ooze everywhere. You are a rockstar.
This recipe was horrible!! That sauce absolutely ruined the entire meal. ??????????????????
the cilantro yogurt sauce? do you not like cilantro? i’m not sure how the recipe was horrible when the ingredients are pretty basic! xoxo
Please tell me how a recipe with over 20 ingredients is basic? Just too much going on. And I love cilantro.
i didn’t say the recipe was basic, i said the ingredients were basic. i meant that there isn’t anything too unordinary in the sauce ingredients and was genuinely looking for some details since you said the recipe was horrible. this helps me create better recipes for my readers. thanks for telling me you thought there were too many flavors going on! that is a helpful comment. xo
Maybe you should have tasted it before you added it to your food. Just a thought.
I made these today for lunch and loved these! I normally steer clear of pineapple in my food but it really worked in this recipe. The spicy and sweet just hit the spot. I’m looking forward to eating my leftovers the rest of the week!
Pingback: Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Whole30) - Vitamin Sunshine
Pingback: Crunchy BBQ Chickpea Lettuce Wraps. - Next Step News
Pingback: BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce | Recipes Food
Pingback: Healthy Lunch Box Ideas for the Kids and YOU! -
Pingback: Chickpea Lettuce Wraps - BBQ Crunchy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps