Chocolate Chip Cookie Crunch Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cookies AND cake. I’m losing my mind!
With very good reason though. Which is unusual, I know.
But but but. It’s Eddie’s birthday weekend! So in true bloglife fashion, when he walked through the door last week I was all “hey, here is your blog birthday dessert. go to town!”
Because there is birthday dessert and blog birthday dessert. First world problems.
He loves no dessert like he loves chocolate chip cookies and cake. Separately, not together. Until now?
But the cookies must be eaten over the sink while drinking boylan soda. Only OVER THE SINK. No other way.
And the cake mustmustmust be chilled for hours before consuming. Room temperature cupcakes with creamy, dreamy frosting? Nope.
This is NOT the first time I’ve bastardized the chocolate chip cookie or a version of cake. I’m sure it won’t be the last. Two years ago for his birthday I made these chocolate chip cookie no bake cheesecake parfaits. Um, those are fantastic. Definitely BIG birthday worthy.
I’m kind of kicking myself for waiting so long to make them again. Maybe I will surprise him with those? Or faux surprise him, since I just wrote it publicly out on the internets? #smart
Oooooh wait! Can we talk about how this isn’t a real chocolate chip cookie “cake”, like the old school Mrs Field’s chocolate chip cookie cakes that are essentially just one… giant… cookie… ? Covered in frosting? I’m not hating on the giant cookie, but let’s be real: the cookie HAS to be delicious and wonderful in order for that to be worth it.
SO. Instead this is a vanilla cake with mini chocolate chips. Covered in frosting made of cream cheese and brown butter and lots of emotions. Topped with tons of crushed cookie crumbs. Two favorites smashed together in a square of cakey but creamy but crunchy cookie perfection.
P.S. it’s the best treat ever if you’re in that lovely phase of life where delicious meals are the current best expression of love.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, tossed in flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, browned and cooled to room temperature (until soft solid)
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 inch pan with butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter until combined. Stir in half of the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk, then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until you have a smooth batter. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake is just set in the middle. Let cool for 20 minutes before gently turning the cake out on to a cutting board. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of your electric mixer and beat on medium speed until creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the sugar and beat until combined. Add the vanilla extract, scraping down the sides if needed. Beat the frosting on medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes until super creamy. Frost the cake once cooled completely. Cover with the crushed cookies and slice!
That little hunk of love.