Gingersnap Breakfast Risotto.
With only a few days left in the year, I’m proposing a wild idea.
Cookies for breakfast. But not just any cookies for breakfast – cookies in your almost-oatmeal like breakfast parfait. Creamy vanilla, chewy and spiced, crunchy with cookies.
I know I know, this is nothing new, especially if you’re like me and for the last ten days have been sneaking a peanut butter blossom or chocolate crinkle first thing in the morning to act as an appetizer for your coffee. Okay, so maybe your energizing first meal of choice is thumbprint or gingerbread man, but still. It’s happening and we only have about 36 hours left before the universe tries to make us feel terrible about it. Savor this moment, friends.
In case you already deem that unacceptable, make this!
I have my major moments of wanting breakfast foods all the time. If you really think about it, nearly anything can be “turned into” breakfast with the mere addition of an egg or some kind of oatmeal. Tacos, rice bowls, pizza, pasta and now, even cookies. I swear it. Just you wait.
It was around one year ago when I become obsessed with this cookie topped oatmeal (which I now am craving and must make this week) – breakfast in a pretty glass? Breakfast with a cookie layer? Breakfast that tastes like dessert? Sign me up for everything and I’ll attend whatever I need. Oatmeal makes everything in life healthy, so there’s that.
As a super huge fan of chewy oats (my favorite being steel cut), I loved the idea of a SWEET breakfast risotto. You can find a baked breakfast risotto in Seriously Delish, but hello, it’s the holidays and I’m going to crumble cookies into my breakfast because I do what I want. We can pretend that rice is like oatmeal and just as good for us, shhhhh.
Plus, it’s also a texture masterpiece: chewy rice, a little bit creamy, crunchy crispy gingersnaps, bursting orange wedges and pomegranate arils that pop in your mouth a little bit. It’s so deliciously wonderful that it actually sounds wrong.
A chew lovers dream, if you will.
So what’s on tap for this week? Are you working? Did you take the week off? Are you stuck in a dent on the couch binging on old episodes of Entourage (not me, totally not me) and sneaking cookies for breakfast? Choosing THEE sparkly color to wear on your nails come New Years Eve? Writing down how you can take on the universe in 2016?
No WONDER we are friends!
Gingersnap Breakfast Risotto
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 knob fresh ginger
- 2 cup water
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk, plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- for serving: orange slices, pomegranate arils, extra coconut cream
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the butter. Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook until the rice begins to toast, stirring often, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the water, knob of ginger and stir. Cook until the water is almost all absorbed by the rice, stirring often. Add in the coconut milk and repeat: stir continuously until the liquid is absorbed. Remove the ginger knob. Stir in the sugar, vanilla bean paste and salt. At this point, you can also stir in a handful of crushed gingersnap cookies!
- Scoop the risotto into bowls and drizzle with a bit of milk. Cover with orange slices, pomegranate arils, extra coconut cream and more crushed cookies. I like to layer the toppings on! Finish off with a full gingersnap cookie. Serve immediately.
P.S. those little white pops are white chocolate crunchies. Because… I do what I want.