Butter-Roasted Cherry Swirl Overnight Oats.
So let’s be real.
At this stage of my life right now, the only “overnights” that we’re ever talking about in this house are diapers and oatmeal. It’s just a fact.
I think that’s probably why I’m sooooo heavily on the overnight oat train. It sounds like something fun and semi-scandalous because of the word, says the person who blasts James Taylor when she wants to throw a tantrum.
BUT! I had a real overnight this past weekend because I went away for the first time overnight since Max was born… for one of my friend’s bachelorette parties and it was ridiculously and embarrassingly fun. So fun that my run-on sentences are worse than usual. I even pretended that I was 21 and soaked watermelon gummies in tequila and coke bottle gummies in rum because, hi, we wanted to party like it was 1999.
I mean I wasn’t even old enough to party in 1999 but you know.
I’m semi-amazed at the variety of adult beverages I consumed without falling into a room-spinning spiral but have decided that 540+ consecutive nights of no sleep could be the real reason I could hold my own. I also fell 150% in love with the best espresso martinis that I want to make a signature thing here even if “signature” means once a year.
A weekend like that constitutes a week of hearty but not-horrible-for-you breakfasts (after the actual horrible-for-you breakfast, of course) and thats where these overnights come in.
Because of my own overnight!
Okay I’m done. I swear.
My breakfasts these days rotate between big smoothies – sometimes made thick enough to go in a bowl because I’m now THAT person – eggs and toast and avocado, because always, and overnight oats. I freaking love the overnight oats so much.
The chew, the ease, the flavor change up – it’s satisfying every high-maintence breakfast wish I have at the moment and for that I am thankful.
This jar is extra delicious since it’s filled to the brim with butter-roasted cherries. Yes. Butter-roasted. Rich and silky and sweet and caramely.
There is so much flavor and I want to eat it forever. Or at least until my millennial brain chooses something else in 37 seconds. I have no idea what that’s like, but oh did you know that last week my favorite breakfast was tacos? No.
The secret ingredient? A super teeny HINT of almond extract. I don’t like to do almonds actually in this oatmeal because then it feels, well… too almondy. If there even is such a thing. But I really just like to drop in that taste because it enhances the cherry flavor so much.
Or maybe it just reminds me of amaretto cherries. I don’t know. I need to get out more. Let’s go!
Butter-Roasted Cherry Swirl Overnight Oats
- extra milk
- unsweetened, shredded coconut
- hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven the 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the pitted cherries on the sheet and drizzle with the melted butter. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice in between, until the cherries are soft and juicy.
- I like to mash a small section of the cherries – this makes it easier to swirl into the oats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, milk, honey, hemp, chia, vanilla and almond extracts and the salt. Spoon a few cherries in the bottom of a glass or jar. Evenly divide the oat mixture between the jars. Use the remaining cherries to top the oats and swirl down into the mixture. Use up all the juice and syrup on the parchment too! Cover the oats and place them in the overnight – or for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to eat, top with shredded coconut and hemp seeds or anything else you love.
Ready for my overnight oat cannonball.