Marinated Tomato Peach Salad with Herb Butter Toast.
I told you that I will call anything a salad.
Soooo. Reality is setting in.
Reality is setting in that we’re back from vacation and no longer is it acceptable to eat ice cream before dinner (or let’s be real – just FOR dinner) and hollandaise-smothered everything for breakfast.
It’s quite depressing, not to mention that the only thing my taste buds seem to be screaming is GIVE ME SUGAR! This salad should do the trick, right?
Ha. Hahahahaha. That’s my mantra on many Mondays (alliteration anyone?) and while sometimes I make a killer one that does do the trick, I still want to eat thirty handfuls of granola while cooking dinner and maybe one (I mean three) chocolate chip covered peanut butter spoons before bed.
I bet you don’t know anything about that.
Marinated peaches and tomatoes though – swimming in a briny mixture that tastes so delicious I could drink it, if only because I’m a vinegar freak – bring me back from the brink of walking off the plank into sea of all the sweets.
Even for me, there’s enough sweetness here that I don’t really want the last Tom’s Mom’s cookie hanging out on our counter.
(Not really, but YOU KNOW.)
Um, how insanely gorgeous are these little heirloom tomatoes?
Again, I just want to eat them because they are so pretty.
Oops, also. I’m forgetting one important thing. The freaking buttery, herby baguette toast.
You didn’t REALLY think I’d just have some marinated tomatoes and peaches and call it a meal, right?
This crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside rich and buttered toast is so flavorful and gives a wonderful texture to this bowl of summery produce. I adore the combination and it adds the perfect bite to the meal – something a little extra to feel satisfied.
This week seems better already!
Marinated Tomato Peach Salad with Herb Butter Toast
- 2 pints of heirloom cherry tomatoes, jalved
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 large shallot, or 2 small, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
herb butter garlic toasts
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, place the tomatoes, peaches and shallots. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well (but gently!) to coat. Place the salad in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the salad and top with fresh basil and oregano. Taste and season additionally if needed. Serve immediately with the toasts.
herb butter garlic toasts
- Preheat the broiler in your oven to the highest setting. Place and oven rack about 6 inches underneath it.
- Slice the baguette into rounds. In a bowl, stir together the softened butter with the garlic salt, oregano, basil and parmesan. Spread the butter on the baguette slices. Place them on a baking sheet and set under the broiler, just for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and toasty. WATCH them the entire time!! Broilers can burn the bread quickly, so keep an eye on the bread and remove it if needed.
Only thing missing might be some chickpeas!