Pineapple Chili Chicken Skewers with Garlic Chive Dip.
Oh look! It’s my annual chicken on a skewer recipe.
Why does chicken on a stick taste so much better than chicken baked in a dish in the oven?! The world may never know.
But no matter what, I will try to figure it out every.single.year. at this time. See also:
Yes I might have a problem. I just can’t handle the boring old chicken dinners. If you’ve been reading for a while, you’ll know that boring chicken dinners are motivation enough for me to continue my own personal recipe development. It’s purely for selfish reasons, you know.
So. The greek yogurt dip is by far my favorite dipping sauce for the chicken. It’s so light and refreshing and just adds this delicious coolness to the charred grilled skewers. The flavor combination is right up my alley so I knew I didn’t want to lose it.
In fact. The first time I made this, I had zero intention of sharing the recipe because I thought it was a little too similar to my chili garlic skewers. I basically took the pineapple marinade idea from my pulled pork enchiladas and marinated the chicken in it for a few hours.
GUYS. You only need three ingredients for the chicken. THREE! You need chicken, obviously. You need chili garlic paste, which should be available in your local grocery store near soy sauce and curry paste. And you need fresh pineapple. That’s it!
AHH! It is such a simple (like, clearly an embarrassingly simple) marinade idea for chicken, especially if you are using the grill and planning on that smoky flavor.
But we loved it so much. I made it one more time the SAME WEEK for dinner (which basically never happens) and then once a week later. It’s something about the sweetness and the spice and all that refreshing yogurt and blah blah blah blah blah. I could go on and on. And I probably would, except I’m really close to the ending of season four of Gilmore Girls and hello, you know what that means.
Unfortunately, I know what it means too because I have no patience and always read ahead. Gotta be prepared.
While the chicken is flavorful on its own, I find that a little sprinkle of scallions and a spoonful of finely chopped cilantro adds a ton of extra taste. If you have some pineapple left too, you can chop it up finely and throw it on top. And then, of course, the yogurt drizzle! Or spoonful. Or dip. Or pour!
My entire life is about going overboard.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple plus extra for skewering
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- pinch of salt and pepper
- limes for spritzing
- chopped pineapple for garnish
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add the pineapple and chili garlic paste to a food processor and blend until pureed. Place the chicken in a bowl or resealable plastic bag and cover it with the pureed pineapple mixture. Refrigerate and marinate for anywhere from 2 hours to overnight.
- Soak a few bamboo skewers in water. Skewer 4 to 5 chicken pieces on each skewer along with 1 or 2 pieces of pineapple. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet (or your grill!) over medium-high heat and add the olive oil (not if using the grill). Add the chicken skewers and cook on each side for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through. Serve immediately with the yogurt sauce and extra lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro and chopped pineapple.
- herb yogurt sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until creamy and combined.
Oh yeah! Pineapple on the skewer too. I can’t be stopped!