French Baked Toast and Eggs in Cream.
Ummmm yes. I am showing you something glorious!
When I saw this recipe concept for the first time, my jaw dropped. It was like all of my breakfast dreams had come true – and there wasn’t even cheese involved. Insane, right?
I am a perpetual lover of toast and eggs. They both make an appearance in my meals nearly every single day. While my go-to is usually avocado toast with an egg, if I’m out of avocado or used it for a salad or reeeeally just not feeling it sometimes, plain fried or poached eggs on sourdough never does me wrong.
It’s good for breakfast, of course, but my real preference is eggs for lunch. In fact, sometimes I even hold off on eggs for breakfast just because I love them for lunch so much.
This is no exception, but I do find this to be such an awesome weekend breakfast or brunch. It almost reminds me of croque monsieur – but without the cheese sauce. And there are only FOUR real ingredients.
Okay… there is also salt and pepper. And chives if you want them. But to make the actual dish? Only four. Bread, butter, eggs and cream. DONE!
So here’s how it works. And it is OH SO good.
You butter some toast (brioche is best) and cook it in a skillet a la the grilled cheese method. Like just toast your bread and butter until golden and crunchy on the outsides. Just gotta give it some crisp!
After that, place it on a BUTTERED baking sheet. Obviously key. More butter please.
Crack an egg on each piece of bread. This can be tricky because it might want to slide right off, but be patient! If I can get the eggs to stay, so can you.
Next? Warm cream. Ohhhh yes. Drizzled right over the cracked eggs and then the remaining all over the toast and pan.
This is what the entrance to heaven looks like!
Bake the toast until the egg yolks are cooked to your liking. Then give it a good chive shower and go.to.town.
The cream thickens in the oven and becomes ALMOST cheese-like. Which is probably why I adore this so much.
Seriously, this is such a lovely, hearty, satisfying and comforting breakfast. And since you make it on a big sheet pan, you can serve a few people! I used a smaller pan here for four slices, but I bet you can easily fit six or even eight if you’re not worried about getting an Instagram friendly shot. Yeah, cue the eye roll.
It’s no biggie if you just want to make a slice or two for yourself either. You totally deserve it.
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Rub a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.
- Take the remaining butter and spread it on both sides of each slice of bread. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bread (most likely in batches), cooking until it is toasted and golden brown on both sides. Place each side on the buttered baking sheet.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over low heat until it is simmering. Seasoning it with the salt and the pepper. Drizzle a tablespoon or 2 evenly over each slice of bread.
- Crack each of the eggs onto a slice of bread. Pour the remaining cream over the eggs. Bake the toast for 13 to 15 minutes – 13 minutes will still result in a mostly runny egg. Sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cover with the chives and serve immediately!
Oh that is a dream right there.