Pistachio Pesto Pasta Salad with Burrata.
I have the dish you’re going to eat morning, noon and night this weekend!
And just to play it safe? Let’s say the entire rest of the summer. K? Great.
Pistachio pesto pasta salad could only be made better by one thing: burrata cheese. Of course! It’s tangy, creamy, a little crunchy and so, so flavorful. This has so much flavor, I want to cry. Bawl! Sob!
If you’re thinking… um, didn’t you make something similar to this last year, you’re totally right. I DID. But it was a warm regular old noodle pasta with burrata twirled in. Not a cold, chilled pistachio pesto pasta salad with burrata mixed in.
I know I know. It’s similar! But the REAL thing is that Eddie and I have been eating this pesto pasta salad for dinner (and, um, lunch) like crazy people. Like we can’t stop. Like we have made it our side dish every single night, even for weird things that don’t require a side dish. Even for me who in general does not require a side dish. Eddie ALWAYS requires a side dish.
It’s like he looks forward to JUST the side dish on his drive home from work.
You totally could serve this warm, but I wanted you to have the recipe written as cold so you can make it for all of your 4th of July festivities this weekend.
If you’ve follow the blog for a while, you know I’ve been obsessed with pistachio pesto (and, well, generally all things pistachio) for years and years and years. The flavor is so buttery and rich. So toasty. So delicious!
I also like to add in a bit of fresh arugula for bite. Waaaay way way back, many moons ago on this blog, I used to whine about how I didn’t really care for pesto. I initially fell in love with arugula pesto for the sharp taste is gave to all the summer things. I haven’t turned back since and I love basil pesto equally now too.
Plus, some fresh oregano for good measure. Dried oregano has always been a little strong for my liking but fresh is my favorite herb from my garden. I love it SO much.
So tell me! What are your plans for the weekend? And are you celebrating the 4th of July this weekend or on Tuesday? I totally wish that all holidays like that should just be attached to the weekend. Right?
We will do a pool partay and lots of good food. Tons of fireworks and sparklers even if I want to crash in bed at 9 like the old grandma that I am.
Just promise me that this little bowl here will grace your table at some point in the next five days. Breakfast, lunch and dinner, I’m telling you!
Pistachio Basil Pesto Pasta Salad with Burrata
pistachio basil pesto
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves torn
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 1 handful fresh basil for tossing
pistachio basil pesto
- Place the pistachios, basil, arugula, oregano, garlic and cheese in a food processor. Pulse and blend until the nuts are coarsely chopped, then with the processor on, stream in 1/3 cup of olive oil. Add a little more if necessary, depending on how “spreadable” you want your pesto to be. Taste the pesto and add in the salt, blending once more. This will make a little extra pesto than needed, so store it sealed tightly in the fridge for up to a week.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Once you drain the pasta, immediately toss it with the olive oil and a few scoops of the pesto – as much as you’d like! You can use all of it or just a few tablespoons. Pull apart the burrata cheese and toss it into the pasta over and over. Toss in the parmesan cheese. At this point, you can serve it warm, but I love to stick the whole bowl in the fridge and let it cool down for a few hours. The flavor is unreal!
- Before serving, top with the extra pistachios and fresh basil leaves.
Oh and p.s. if you have extra pesto? HELLO PIZZA.