1. Stupidly, I got my first sunburn in YEARS on the first day of vacation. I’ve been a legit psycho about sunscreen and skincare for the last few years and haven’t got one shade of pink in ages and now I feel like I RUINED everything in a few minutes outside in my typical dramatic fashion.
2. If you watch my insta stories, you know that a few nights ago I got roped into watching Forrest Gump and could not stop BAWLING MY EYES OUT at the end. I mean I probably haven’t seen that movie in 15 years, and I know I’m in an emotional state at the moment but I definitely never cried at movies before. Now I can’t watch anything even remotely moving without melting into a puddle.
3. Absolutely dyyyying over why these tops are the worst. I mean, as a huge Kelly Kapowski forever fan I always WANT to love the look, but it is so embarrassingly impractical for my life at the moment that I just cannot. p.s. I found this over on Tracy’s blog because she always has the best lists!
4. OKAY! So I finished OITNB and ended up getting really into the last few episodes. I don’t know why I haven’t been able to get into the show the last few seasons at the beginning. I still wish that they had moved the episodes forward more because having them set in the same scene for basically 13 episodes was insane, but I really ended up liking it and now can’t wait for next year!
5. When I was a teenager I heard about people getting pregnant and their feet growing so much that they could no longer wear any of their shoes. In those very vain years, I was seriously worried about that. BUT! Now that I’m over halfway through my second, that hasn’t happened at all so maybe it’s not a thing? Is it a thing? The Sperry’s I told you about last week actually ended up being too big?!
6. I barely even remember before the internet now. HA.
7. Soooo how many times is it appropriate to eat ice cream on vacation? Also, how many times is it appropriate to give your toddler ice cream on vacation? Asking for a friend. Who isn’t even really an ice cream person.
8. Remember a few weeks ago when I was also weirdly emotional over the Stanley Cup finals? UGH. This article is KILLING me. Whyyy am I such a sap.
9. I finally am finishing up The Identicals (um, the Barnes and Noble version has an extra chapter at the end!! Even though I preordered the book on my phone before it came out, I bought a copy at the signing two weeks ago!) and moving on to something next on my summer reading list. What have you made it through so far?
28 Comments on “Tuesday Things.”
You can eat ice cream EVERY day while on vacation (or not on vacation). Signed, The (self-proclaimed) Ice Cream Queen.
Vacation ice cream? At least once a day. At least! There have been occasions in which I have also eaten ice cream MULTIPLE times a day, & proudly at that…sometimes you need ice cream after the lake/beach & also after dinner. It’s vacation!!!
Giant pregnant lady feet (and ankles!) are most definitely a thing. I’m pregnant with my first and, despite having had skinny chicken ankles and bony feet my entire life, right now I can only fit into one pair of flip flops…and it took me a while to even find a pair of those that fit! And because I also have ginormous cankles at the moment I can’t wear anything with an ankle strap either. Literally every time I encounter another pregnant woman I check out her feet…and then want to cry when I see her wearing normal shoes!
Ditto. Around 30 weeks, my feet and ankles started swelling. The Texas heat isn’t helping, but I’m down to like 4 pairs of shoes and generally take them off for my drive home from work. I just ordered these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IIBKT9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in a size up so I have something comfortable to wear on the weekends and they’re like walking on clouds.
I have had 3 pregnancies and my feet are a solid size bigger then before i was pregnant. It’s a definite thing!
And ice cream should be daily on vacation when you are preggers. I mean, you cant drink, so you might as well find a way to indulge!!
I had to move to fake birkenstocks as soon as I got into my third trimester because I needed the adjustable straps to fit my ever growing feet! I just hope they go down as soon as the baby is out because I miss my regular shoes!
When I was in college, I worked in a shoe store. One day, this very slight woman who was maybe 5’3″ tall came in and asked if we carried size 11 shoes for women. I told her we did and said “surely they aren’t for you?” And she said “They are – I have 4 kids and gained a shoe size with each of them.”
The whole time I was pregnant, I was SO WORRIED this would happen to me because my feet are already a 9.5 but nothing did. My feet didn’t even swell. So I’d say it’s definitely a thing but not a universal one.
And ice cream doesn’t count on vacation, obvs.
Absolutely love the article on those tops! I have a 20 month old and therefore find them insanely impractical, but also have relatively broad shoulders and look much like a linebacker when I wear one. I couldn’t agree more that the trend is taking up too many of the top options this summer!
Yup, my feet grew a whole size. With my babe just at 1 year, they are back down to a half size bigger. I had to get pretty much all new shoes…the horror!
Had to get my rings sized up too.
My mom’s feet got bigger with her pregnancies! (and she still has the world’s smallest feet!) Also my neighbor that I used to nanny for – hers did as well because she ended up giving me some shoes that no longer fit. Maybe it isn’t guaranteed but it’s a rare thing for some women? I feel like I hear less women who say this than more. If I ever get pregnant and my feet grow, I will probably cry..I have quite the shoe collection that I’d hate to part with unwillingly.
I read ‘The Light We Lost’ on my plane ride yesterday and omg – waterfalls! I was that girl sitting on the plane crying, LOL. It was SO well-written and I loved every second of the book. It was beautiful!
Michigan seems like such a peaceful vacation spot. I’m going to try to talk the hubs into visiting one summer. I just started reading the Identicals. Love Ellen’s writing ;) Before the Identicals I read Secrets in Summer by Nancy Thayer……good read :) P.S. I printed off your summer reading suggestions so that I can pick up a couple reads for my vacation.
Girl can you NOT with the Marc Andre Fleury article? I’ve gone like a week without crying over an article at work and I’m not about to break that streak now.
And no, crying laughing at the cold shoulder article doesn’t count.
Yes, growing foot size while pregnant is a thing. While pregnant with my first, I went up a whole size and then after giving birth I went back half a size. With my 2nd, no change. No rhyme or reason to this!
Have all the ice cream you want girl! And that article on the tops is hilarious :)
Joining the chorus to say pregnancy feet growth/spreading is a thing! My youngest child is 3 years old and my feet show no sign of going back to the size they used to be. All pre-baby shoes are gone :(
I have ONE off the shoulder top, that’s actually a maternity top from last summer. Uhm, I love it. At home. With no bra. The arm thingies ride up in 0.2 secs with a baby and a toddler anyways, but it has a tropical print all over it and makes me feel like a freaking vintage goddess when I’m really in yoga pants, cleaning somebody’s pee off of something.
And ice cream on vacation? I think that’s fine, always. But take it with a grain of salt, this is coming from a lady who needs advice on very sugary crumb muffins in baby’s hands. It was an accident, I swear.
Also, my feet grew during both my pregnancies. So did my hands. Nursing is draining me and I’m too skinny for my own good, but my hands? Fat baby hands.
Pingback: Tuesday Things. – Fruitide
I caught the Jamie Brenner book on sale for Kindle, so that’s next. Working on When Dimple Met Rishi right now – it’s adorable!
My feet grew during pregnancy! I was freaking out and had to buy a pair of sneakers in the next size up to get me through the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy haha so afterwards, they did (mostly) go back to normal but I do feel like they might be a bit wider because my heels just don’t fit the same now.
Did you like the Identicals? I just put that on hold at the library. I am just finishing up The Rumor…and I’m a bit disappointed! What are your top favorites of Elin’s books? I have read The Castaways, The Island, Summer Affair and Winter Street. I loved all of those but just have not been able to get into The rumor at all!
My skin has been crazy during pregnancy. I have quite olive based skin and I usually never burn, but in Florida earlier this year I burnt so bad and so quickly whilst covered in SPF 30 and having hardly been in the sun.
I’m also tanning really easy too, my midwife asked me if it was real this week and I’m hardly ever out in the sun, I’m too damn hot. Word of warning don’t sit outside for twenty minutes in a sports bra with kinesis tape on, you will get the weirdest tan lines on your bump that won’t go away!
I am the same way about sunscreen and sunburn. I’m such a nutbag about applying it religiously and generously, and if I ever get burned (which is nearly inescapable sometimes in FL), then I’m FURIOUS about it. Like, so, so upset.
Forrest Gump is one of those movies that is always on tv, and I can’t help but catch a few minutes of it each time I stumble on it. How funny that you hadn’t seen it in that many years. My friend’s dad took us to see it in the theater when I was like 12, and we loved it, even as kids. Lol! I guess I thought it was really clever.
Oh gosh, yes the feet thing is definitely for real!! Mine didn’t get swollen with Joseph until like the last month, but with Dominic, I couldn’t wear most of my regular shoes from like four months on. I don’t know if it’s because I was pregnant during the summer and it was so disgustingly hot and humid last year, but my feet were enormous and so uncomfortable! UGH! Be so grateful it hasn’t happened to you!
Also, the Fleury article had me crying a river when I read it the other day, ugh!
I knew it was the article from Marc Andre before i even clicked the link. It is touching! Fave part? Sorry for the UPMC commercial on repeat LOL.
Literally have cried actual tears on multiple occasions since Fleury was officially traded to the Golden Knights. Pittsburgh loves him so much, and he loves Pittsburgh right back <3
Oh gosh. Pregnancy emotions. I remember when I was pregnant, once something set me crying I couldn’t turn it off. So awkward. I’m not a movie crier either but there were a couple that GOT ME BAD when I was pregnant. Like I was still sobbing even when the sad bits had long passed. Ugh. Emotions embarrass me sometimes!
on the feet growing from being pregnant-it seems like it’s different for everyone? My MIL’s feet grew a half size (and stayed that way) with each kid, but my mom’s feet didn’t get bigger at all. So…*shrug*
Wondering if you’ve ever visited Mackinac Island while you’re in Northern Michigan? I think you’d love it!
yes!! love mackinac, but haven’t been there since i was a teenager. we used to go every year! a few years ago eddie and i drove to the bridge but i’ve never taken him there and would like too. probably in another year or so. :)