Double Chocolate Zucchini Cookies with Sea Salt.
It’s a cookie Friday!
Lately, I’ve been making these zucchini oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from last year on repeat. Max really loves them. It makes me feel good that there is a vegetable in my cookie. I like to give them away and be like “YOU’RE EATING SOMETHING GREEN!”
So we’re doing it again.
Super fudgy chocolate zucchini cookies, for the big fat win.
We never ate zucchini bread or cake growing up. Never! Crazy right? Mother Lovett never made any. My mom would always do one thing with the garden zucchini we got and it was this: bread and lightly pan-fry with tons of parmesan cheese and then marinara for dipping.
I shared the recipe on my blog forever ago and if I felt like hating myself and being embarrassed for 56 hours on end, I’d link it. No thanks! But a quick google search will help you. Oh yay.
We were major savory zucchini eaters and we only ever did so in the summer. I still love that dish and Eddie and I always order fried zucchini when we see it on a menu. But it’s such a crapshoot. We love to find the lightly breaded ones that don’t taste like deep fryer. You know?
Anyhoo, I’m totally going to do that before summer ends – it goes on the bucket list now. But in the meantime, serious chocolate chip cookies with zucchini were on the menu.
Serious. I mean seriously. This is serious chocolate going down!
These are so rich and fudgy and chocolate. My goal was to keep them as chewy as I could without allowing them to get too cakey and I think that goal was achieved. These babies are decadent. I almost felt like I was eating a brownie cookie!
Not a bad thing. Never a bad thing.
The thing that sets these over the top for me is the sea salt sprinkled after baking. Oh Mylanta. It’s the best combination of sweet and salty.
Oh oh and I did a little extra drizzle of chocolate on top because… I’m extra.
And I know that I haven’t shut up about not being into sweets (yet!) this pregnancy, so I have found that one cookie can do it for me. It’s perfection. It’s not like a pan of brownies where I want to keep going at it with a fork, or a cake that I want to keep slicing into. You can have one (… err, or three) of these and be totally satisfied!
Watch the video of how I make chocolate zucchini cookies:
Double Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly grated zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To start, I like to grate the zucchini and then lightly sprinkle it with salt. After a few minutes, squeeze it in between a towel or two to remove some of the moisture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk in the egg yolk until combined. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Stir in the grated zucchini. Stir in the dry ingredients until they are just combined and you have a dark chocolate dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a 1/2 to 1-inch scoop and scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cookies are just set. Let them cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet. Sprinkle them with sea salt before serving!
- If you’d like to drizzle yours with chocolate, I melted a few spoonfuls of chocolate chips and drizzle it on top!
AND we’re eating a vegetable!