Honey Berry Kombucha Smash.
We’re in full blown mocktail mode over here!
This honey berry kombucha smash is my new favorite thing. Until my next favorite thing comes along! You know the drill.
I know that every time I ramble on about how much I love kombucha, I say the exact same things. It’s annoying. “Oh I love it. And I sometimes use it as an afternoon snack. I also prefer it over coffee. It’s amazing in cocktails. It’s the only thing I could drink daily aside from water.” And blah blah blah – on and on and on!
Those things are all true, but let’s focus on the cocktail/mocktail aspect of it today. Because it makes for the best base and mixer! There is something that is so much more flavorful and complicated than using some sort of soda or ginger ale. There are more flavors. It’s a bit vinegary, which I obviously love, but many versions aren’t vinegary enough that you actually taste vinegar.
And sure, SOME are, but a lot of the fruit infused ones I love the most are not overly tart. For this drink I did use the tart cherry (okay, which is sort of tart!) but also the raspberry lemon. Perfection!
Can we also discuss this color for a moment? I just want my entire life to be this color. Let’s be real.
To start here, I simmered some honey and blueberries together until the berries were bursting. Then I smashed them with some fresh raspberries as well as kombucha to mix everything up. Poured it over crushed ice and topped it with vanilla seltzer (the same one I was raving about last week!) and threw in some fresh basil and mint.
I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS! That’s the thing. This might be my most favorite mocktail I’ve created so far.
The flavor is incredible because there is a richness from the simmered berries. The honey tames the tartness. And the soda makes it seem super bubbly to the point where I almost want to say that if you did serve this to someone, they may actually think it is a cocktail.
And of course, you can go ahead and add vodka or tequila or bourbon or any other boozy ingredient you might prefer. I GET YOU.
Super bubbly and not boozy! Come three months from now things will be verrrry different.
But right now my dream life is sitting out on our patio and sipping one of these come happy hour.
Now that we’re into August, I’m having an almost end-of-summer meltdown where I feel like we have to do all the things. Are we playing outside enough? Swimming enough? Did we do enough fun summer things? Then at the same time I’m like are we doing too many things? Are we not relaxing enough? We do we always have to be dong 43 thousand things? I was bored all the time when I was a kid!
SO I’m sipping this mocktail and pondering super deep questions.
Honey Berry Kombucha Smash
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 12 ounce bottle kombucha (I love ginger or strawberry for this!)
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- fresh mint or basil for garnish
- Place the blueberries and the honey in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the berries are bursting and juicy. Turn off the heat and add the blueberries to a jar or bowl. Top with the raspberries and add about 1/2 cup of kombucha. Muddle the berries with the kombucha until they are somewhat smashed.
- Fill two glasses glasses with crushed ice. Add some of the smashed berry + kombucha mixture to each. Top with more kombucha, leaving a bit of room for the ginger beer. Top with the ginger beer. Add a bit more of the smashed berries on top and garnish with fresh mint or basil if desired.
P.S. I’m also becoming a professional blueberry burster.