Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Avocado Fudge Frosting.
Behold! The fudgiest chocolate cupcake in the universe!
Okay maybe it’s not theeee fudgiest, but it’s so super chocolately and soft and the frosting is everything I want in my life always.
If the only thing I had to eat right now were chocolate zucchini cupcakes, that would be totally fine.
I mean, look at this batter! I’m not a huge batter/raw dough lover, but this? I wanted to scrape it up with a spatula and eat a bowl of it.
To say I’ve gone balls to the wall with the zucchini desserts this year would be an understatement.
Okay and the frosting? OH YEAH. It’s avocado fudge. Avocado fudge!!
Don’t think it’s weird. I swear it isn’t.
Avocado frosting isn’t a new thing here – I made it a few years ago to top these banana cupcakes and went crazy over it. I actually love the combo of avocado + sugar and think it tastes incredible. Mixing chocolate into it? Ooomph! It’s almost like the avocado mousse but BETTER.
I love it so much that I hate it.
Just give me a spoon for that entire bowl!
And can’t we just call it a superfood? Dark chocolate, avocado, zucchini? Yes I think so.
Even though I’m sharing these on the first of September, they are technically a cupcake that you can make all year round since zucchini is pretty accessible. And I love that!
Eddie “thinks” that he doesn’t like zucchini bread (and banana bread!) or similar treats, but I might have convinced him otherwise with these. The frosting? He wasn’t 100% sold on because you can still very lightly taste the avocado. And he can’t get behind that.
But the cake itself! Just have it frosting-less if you’re not feeling the avocado. Or when all else fails… run to the grocery store and grab some of that double fudge triple chip chocolate frosting or whatever it is. Not that I have any experience doing THAT.
Plus, him not liking the avocado frosting just means more piled on top for me.
And while I spent the majority of this year very NOT into chocolate (thanks to baby #2), I couldn’t stay away from these guys.
The frosting stayed great – even overnight. I mean, you can’t tell if the avocados are turning since it’s chocolate! But my favorite way to consume these though are right out of the fridge. I’m normally not a cake-in-the-fridge girl but these are SO delicious when cold. Are the frosting is like taking big bites of fudge.
Can we all agree on ringing in September this way? Chocolate on chocolate!
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Avocado Fudge Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the sugar and egg until slightly fluffy and combined. Add in the oil and melted butter, beating until combined. Add in the extract and beat on medium speed, scraping down the sides if needed. Add in half of the dry ingredients while beating on low speed. Add in the milk, continuing to beat on low speed then add in the dry ingredients. Beat until a smooth, silky batter forms then stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to evenly fill the liners 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are set. Let the cupcakes cool completely, the frost with the avocado frosting.
avocado fudge frosting
- All all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until combined and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Frost the cupcakes – I like this best when stored in the fridge, but it stays great at room temperature too!
You can’t even see the green so think of everyone you can trick too.