Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage and Peppers.
Easiest meal ever, coming right up.
I can’t believe I’m actually showing you this sheet pan sausage and peppers, but it’s been so requested since I constantly talk about it. Eddie calls it my cop-out meal, and it totally is because it takes NO time at all.
Okay, that’s a lie. It does take a bit of time in the oven, but the prep for it only takes a few minutes. And it tastes really great! Even though it’s the most unphotogenic thing ever. It even made an appearance in my recipes disasters a few years ago – that’s how long I’ve been holding out on you. I just will never get over sausage photography.
SO, you guys know that I really don’t love sausage. My favorite thing to use here is turkey sausage and we really love smoked turkey sausage. But you can use any kind of sausage!
Okay now I will stop saying sausage.
And there are so many ways you can eat this. Obviously, right off the pan! Nothing else. Many times we end up eating it with just the peppers and the sausage because it’s easy or we’re in a rush.
You can also make an additional side with it, like rice or quinoa or potatoes – or whatever! I probably make brown jasmine rice the most often. Trader Joe’s makes my favorite. I like the juices from the pan to mix in with the rice. Uh huh.
Another option is to shove it all on a sandwich! If you have leftover buns (or just buy buns to use for this!) add a slice of melted sharp cheddar or something… ooooh, it’s amazing. We actually discovered this by accident after a day where I’d been recipe testing pretzel buns and beer cheese sauce. HOLY COW. Sandwiching THIS on THAT was incredible.
However, it also turned it into a not-so-light meal. And we usually use this meal as one of our fall-back healthy choices during the week. So it’s very rare, but I have been known to make said pretzel rolls and beer cheese just for this dish. As a treat. As a serious indulgence. Or, like, party food!
So now you know our biggest weeknight secret. Right here.
- 2 smoked turkey sausage links 12 to 15 ounces total, sliced in half length wise
- 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 red bell pepper sliced or chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced or chopped
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray (or mist with olive oil).
- Slice the smoked turkey sausage length wise and brush the open sides with BBQ sauce. I then like to cut them into roughly 2-inch long pieces (see above photos for reference).
- Place the peppers and onions on the baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, balsamic glaze, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add the sausage pieces on the sheet.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the veggies begin to caramelize and the sausage gets golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh oregano. Serve immediately!
What’s your favorite ugly dish?