Oh my gosh. This lavender white wine sangria is going to be your signature summer drink!
This is going to be a problem. I have so many great drinks lined up for thirsty Thursday that every single week, I’m going to be telling you that “this is your new drink for summer.”
And while I totally LOVE the idea of a signature drink, I can’t do that. It’s like picking my favorite movie or song or food or color or show or outfit. Completely depends on my mood. When friends ask “well what do you usually order” and they are talking cocktails, I’m like “umm… whatever I feel like at the moment?”
I wish I was cool and could have a signature drink but my brain won’t allow it. I’m not cool enough. Or chill enough.
Inside my head is a constant swirl of ideas and I’m so easily distracted by fun! delicious! bright! neon! sparkly! things. Worst kind of millennial, right here.
It’s also why I could never have a niche on this blog. Or a theme on instagram that makes everyone want to follow me. My brain is churning all the time and I constantly want to CHANGE things. Do you get this?
I know I’ve been a bit overzealous with the lavender. Those lavender cupcakes from last week are INSANE. So freaking good.
And I know that I keep saying it’s crazy because I don’t love floral flavors! Two exceptions though. If there is sugar involved? And vanilla? I’m all over it.
And the second exception… if there is booze? I’m in. Not because it’s booze. No, shockingly no. But because
I love the floral scents and flavors in cocktails. Not only is it pretty, it’s fun and delicious and so perfect for summer!
The base for this sangria is a chilled pinot grigio. Whatever your favorite brand is. I really love La Crema.
The most important part? The lavender simple syrup! If you have a lavender liqueur of some sort, that would work too. And if you do have a lavender liqueur, tell me all about it! I need one.
Next comes a bit of brandy and some grand marnier. Both work great with the lavender flavors.
I brought back my favorite way of icing down big pitchers of cocktails from last year: frozen peaches!
Not only are they cheaper, you can actually find them, they will be great quality and… they are frozen! No ice to water down your drink.
I threw some strawberries in there too because what is sangria without boozy fruit? Of course you can add whatever you’d like – citrus, apples, berries – anything that may soak up the wine.
Can I just say how much I LOVE these pitcher cocktails for warm summer nights? They also work great for pool days, dinner parties – so many options! I think I’m going to make this for Memorial Day weekend. Or on Sunday. Just because.
- 1 750mL bottle pinot grigio
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup grand marnier
- 2 cups club soda whatever flavor you’d like
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup lavender syrup recipe below
- 1 pint of strawberries sliced
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen peaches
lavender simple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
- 2 sprigs fresh lavender
- Add the strawberries and frozen peaches to the bottom of a pitcher. Pour your wine, brandy, grand marnier, lavender syrup (start with 1/3 cup, taste and add more if you want) and club soda over top and stir. This tastes great when it sits in the fridge and “marinates” for a bit. But you can also serve it right away!
lavender simple syrup
- Place the sugar, water and lavender in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set the saucepan aside. Let it cool completely. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lavender. Store in a sealed container in the fridge!
I want a pitcher of this to decorate my kitchen daily.