Lavender Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Look how pretty things are today!
Lavender cupcakes, you guys! You have no idea how many exclamation points I want to use right now.
Lavender cupcakes are my new favorite way to welcome spring into this life. They are fresh and fun and delicious and beautiful. All the boxes are checked.
I have wanted to make these cupcakes for almost a year now. I had my first last year while on vacation in Boyne City and the combination was to die for. But then summer ended quickly, I never got around to it, fall flavors came into play and I had to wait and entire YEAR.
That’s tough for a millennial.
Anyway. Maybe that’s also where my cream cheese frosting obsession started last year. Granted I’ve always loved it, but this year I’ve been off my rocker. Cream cheese frosting everywhere! On everything!
As for the lavender cupcakes, I’m still kind of shocked that I love them. I mean, I love other lavender things (like I seriously can’t get enough of the iced lavender vanilla lattes in The Pretty Dish) but floral flavors are not something I go nutty over.
And a big secret? I just used lavender extract in these cupcakes. I always make my own syrups and infused milk from lavender flowers, but in the name of easy cupcakes? Extract it is. I buy mine on amazon and you seriously only need a drop. So easy!
The cupcakes are straight up dreamy. Vanilla-y lavender cake. It’s fluffy and light and tastes so good.
But then it’s paired with the cream cheese frosting which is so super rich and decadent that it complements the cake in the best way possible.
Topped with a little spring of fresh lavender, they are almost too pretty to eat.
ALMOST. I’m not passing this up at all.
Lavender Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
cream cheese frosting
- 2 8-ounce blocks cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- fresh non treated lavender springs or flowers for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Fill a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
- Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat it until creamy. Add the sugar and beat with the butter on high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the egg and egg white, mixing well on medium speed until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed. Add in the oil, vanilla and lavender extracts, beating on medium speed for another minute. With the mixer on low speed, add in half of the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk. Add in the other half of the dry ingredients and mix them on medium speed until the batter is combined.
- Fill each liner about 2/3 of the way full. Bake until the tops are set, about 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
cream cheese frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Beat in the sugar until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. Frost the cooled cupcakes! Before serving, top with fresh lavender springs or flowers. If desired, you can add a drop of food coloring in (pink or purple) to color the frosting!
Now THIS is a perfect frosting to cake ratio if I do say so.