Pimento Cheese Grilled Cheese with Spiralized Pickle Slaw.
That’s right. We’re putting pimento cheese in your grilled cheese!
As if grilled cheese couldn’t get any more indulgent. We’re making pimento cheese grilled cheese like a boss. And loving it.
Don’t worry. I threw some arugula in there too. Because health.
We’re just grilling the heck out of pimento cheese.
Stuffing it inside the fluffiest bread with some extra cheddar and topping the entire thing with spiralized pickle slaw. OMG.
This spiralized pickle slaw is going to be my BFF this summer. I’m going to put it on all the things. It’s basically just a refrigerator pickle recipe, but I quickly spiralized the cucumbers so they would be more slaw-like. A local restaurant does that here and puts them on cheese fries and it’s INSANE. I’ve been wanting to try it for weeks and it did not disappoint.
It’s a super fast recipe too. I like to use apple cider vinegar because I use that for everything. Some fresh dill. Garlic. Red pepper flakes!
If you are a pickle freak like me, you’ll love it. So easy and simple and crisp and fresh.
You can even shove it IN the sandwich. I prefer mine on top though. I just do!
So while this recipe is super great for the Kentucky Derby, it’s actually great for the day or two after when you have leftover pimento cheese and have no idea what to do with it. I mean, you could also make these pimento cheese burgers. Or this pimento cheese crostini. Or the pimento cheese brunch grits that I shared last week!
But this is your easiest, no-fuss option. Slather it on some bread. Add extra cheese because we’re terrible here. Cook it in a skillet until it’s golden and cheese is oozing all over the pan. If you want to piss people off you could also go as far as dipping it in ketchup! That’s a thing. Trust me.
Make it for yourself and/or your friends. It’s the ultimate comfort food – a hug of cheese.
- 1 medium cucumber spiralized
- 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup pimento cheese
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- softened butter for spreading
- Place the cucumber spirals in a large jar or bowl.
- In another large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the vinegar, salt, dill and hot water. Stir until the salt dissolves. Let the mixture cool. Once cool. pour it over the cucumber spirals. Add the garlic and pepper flakes. Make sure the spirals are all submerged in the liquid. Refrigerate overnight, shaking or stirring once or twice. These stay great for about a week!
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread the outsides of the bread with the softened butter. Top one side with 1 ounce grated cheese, then about 1/4 cup pimento cheese. Spread it out gently with a spoon - it won't be even, but just kind of spread it around! Top with 1/2 cup arugula, a sprinkling of chives and then another ounce of grated cheese and other slice of bread. Repeat with remaining bread and ingredients.
- Cook the sandwich in the skillet until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bread is golden brown. Be sure to cool slowly so the center of the pimento cheese gets melty and warm! Serve immediately with the pickle slaw and chives on top!