Pimento Cheese Chicken Quesadillas with Jalapeños.
In what might be the best or worst decision I’ve ever made, I’m combining two celebrations in one for this recipe.
Oh yes I am.
PIMENTO CHEESE CHICKEN QUESADILLAS. Say it with me.
These might be the cheesiest (and spiciest!) things to ever come out of my kitchen.
Let me tell you how much Eddie loved these. He instantly ate an entire quesadilla as soon as I finished photographing them. A few hours later, he reheated the remaining quesadilla and ate it again. And then was still talking about them the next day. And he already asked for them again tonight!
They are so cheesy that I could just die.
Also, I totally cheated here and used rotisserie chicken. We don’t have our normal stash of cooked, shredded chicken since our kitchen is still in shambles, so I grabbed a warm one at the grocery store and shredded it myself.
Which, can we note, is huuuuge. Because I don’t think I’ve touched rotisserie chicken since before I was pregnant with Max! Every time Eddie brought one home that year, I would retreat to our room and try to keep out the smell. It took me about three years to get over that, but here we are. One of those weird things for me.
The other part about these quesadillas that I deem completely necessarily: the spicy, pickled jalapeños. Whyyyy are pickled things so good. Why? I can never get enough, and I normally don’t even do spicy. These add such perfect heat to an otherwise cheesy overload.
Can I say it’s classy trashy food? Pretty sure that’s a thing.
So I would definitely say that your weekend meal is SET.
Pimento Cheese Chicken Quesadillas with Jalapeños
- 12 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1 4-ounce jar of pimentos, drained
- 4 ounces 1/2 block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- for serving: cherry tomatoes avocado, lime wedges
- Add all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well until combined. You will have some leftovers, so store it in a sealed container in the fridge! Best dip with crackers and veggies, woohoo!
- to assemble the quesadillas, spread a few tablespoons of the pimento cheese on one side of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of the chicken and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the chili powder. Add 1/4 cup of the jalapeños on top (add less if you’re not into spicy!) and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Top with the other tortilla. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. For each quesadilla, I melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet and add the quesadilla, cooking on both sides until golden. I cook it about 5 minutes per side, just so the tortillas are super crispy and the cheese is very melty. Serve with extra jalapeños, tomatoes and avocado. With a spritz of lime!
But oh no what do we drink with these? Do we need a mint julep margarita?