Cantaloupe Prosciutto Caprese Skewers with Lemon Mint Pesto.
Put some cantaloupe prosciutto skewers on the list for this long weekend!
Because it’s the best app ever.
Last year on one of the first summer Fridays posts, I shared this big melon snack board and you guys loved it! I made a version of that a LOT last summer. Both kids love melon, it’s super refreshing, it’s EASY and melon pairs so well with both meat and cheese.
I’ve loved the melon + mozz combo for a long time too. This marinated melon mozzarella salad is so pretty and fun to make each summer, but it’s also so delicious. It’s similar to a caprese salad in that it’s very simple but the cheese makes it more satisfying than you would think.
Like give me a big bowl of that and I’ll happily eat it for my summer dinner as the sun sets. Dreamy.
I’ve transferred that love to prosciutto wrapped melon with mozzarella before, and figured why don’t we just put it ALL on skewers so it can be enjoyed in a cute way!
I mean, seriously. These are adorable.
What really takes these over the top, though – what really takes them from embarrassingly easy to slightly impressive…
Is the lemony mint pesto!
Ooooh this stuff is delish. I’ve been very into skewers with pesto lately so you’ll see another one soon, but this simple, no-cook appetizer or snack that you can make ahead of time? Unbeatable.
Remember a few years ago when I made this artichoke burrata pizza with lemon basil pesto?
This is like that. But with mint!
The mint and basil together gives these such an herby depth of flavor. They taste like more than you’d expect, and it’s not just the salt and pepper. Or the cheese and melt-in-your-mouth prosciutto.
The pesto drizzle adds a touch of WHAT IS THAT?! to the skewers. And I love it! Ever since pinterest came to fruition, everyone makes classic caprese skewers for summer parties. It’s not unusual to see a tomato, mozzarella and basil skewer at a party, right?!
So! If you do these prosciutto melon caprese skewers AND add your minty pesto drizzle, you’ll be the queen of the party. Fancy and fun!
Cantaloupe Prosciutto Skewers
Cantaloupe Prosciutto Skewers with Lemon Mint Pesto
- 1 cantaloupe melon scooped out with a melon baller, (about 1 ½ cups melon balls)
- 6 ounces sliced prosciutto torn into pieces
- 1 8 ounccontainer fresh mozzarella (ciliegine
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
lemon mint pesto
- 4 cups fresh mint
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon zest freshly grated and ½ juiced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ to ½ cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- To make the skewers, skewer the cantaloupe balls with the mozzarella, basil leaves and pieces of prosciutto. You can do this however you’d like! Add more melon or more mozzarella according to your own preference. I find it easier to kind of “scrunch up” a prosciutto piece to skewer it.
- I like to make larger skewers, but you can also make shorter ones by doing 1 piece of each, Once the skewers are finished, serve with the lemon mint pesto for drizzling.
lemon mint pesto
- Combine the mint, basil, lemon zest, juice, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until small crumbs remain, and then with the processor running, stream in the olive oil. Start with the 1/4 cup and add the extra if needed to reach the desired consistency. Add the salt, pepper and pepper flakes and blend again. Taste and season additionally if needed.
I live for a drizzle.