Smoky Cider Mezcal Margarita.
New favorite cocktail alert! Say hello to the apple cider mezcal margarita.
It’s shocking, I realize. I’m back with another apple cider drink!
I mean, when you buy one of those huge gallon jugs of it, you need ideas, right?
Enter the smoky mezcal margarita.
With apple cider.
Waaaay back in the day I perfected an apple cider margarita. A few years ago, I created a maple honeycrisp version. Sort of like a caramel apple margarita without the caramel but tastes like caramel because honeycrisps are everything. Both are SO good.
If you’re an apple cider freak like I am, then you wait all year to create delicious recipes and drinks in your kitchen with said cider.
And if I had to choose, the classic is probably what I gravitate toward the most.
I use that recipe ALL the time (just made them last weekend!) and it’s as close to fall margarita perfection I can get.
Or at least I thought so.
Lacy reminded me that I had a bottle of mezcal on our bar and the wheels started spinning. It’s so smoky! It’s so… warming. Almost tastes charred, like your grilled your margarita or something. Just the thought was reminding me of an autumn bonfire and hayride.
So I knew we had to try and perfect ANOTHER fall margarita. Once that was close to my original, but with a few extras, a few changes.
Those of you that love mezcal will probably prefer this one. Those of you that enjoy tequila more will go for my old recipe. I personally like to switch it up and do both depending on the day, my mood and what else we are serving with it.
It’s a little smoky. A little citrusy… slightly heavy on the orange. Lots of cinnamon-y cider. And rimmed with spiced sugar!
Put me by a bonfire with a big plaid blanket and this in my hand! I’m done.
Apple Cider Mezcal Margarita
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 tablespoons coarse sugar
- orange wedges
- 3 ounces sweet apple cider
- 2 ounces mezcal
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier or orange liqueur
- 1 lime wedge
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- apple slices for garnish
- Stir together the cinnamon, allspice and sugars. Rub the rim of a glass with the orange wedge and dip the rim into the spiced sugar. Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the apple cider, mezcal and grand marnier. Squeeze in the lime wedge. Shake for 30 to 60 seconds. Pour the mixture in the glass. Garnish with apple slices and cinnamon sticks. Drink!
Craving it already.