Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad with Brown Butter Dressing.
Happy Monday! Let’s let the crunchiest brussels sprouts apple salad save our soul today.
Three of my favorite things!
Apples, brussels and brown butter. Now this is a salad that I can get behind.
I’ve made lots of brussels salads here before. Mostly because when I would find a vegetable that I actually liked, I would do everything to stretch it. Different salads and sides were a must!
So while I’ve made a shredded brussels salad, thai crunch brussels, a brussels panzanella and this winter crunch salad, along with my absolute favorite brussels caesar, I needed something else. I am a product of this generation so yes, I still needed another option.
No one wants to suffer from brussels sprouts boredom.
This one is closest to my winter crunch salad, with a few exceptions. The winter crunch salad is definitely a full meal. At least for me. This salad here is meant to be a part of a meal. It’s slightly lighter without as much ooomph added in.
I mean, it’s not as EXTRA.
Except maybe it is super extra, because it’s covered in brown butter dressing?
First, the brussels sprouts in this salad are RAW.
Eeeep! Remember the very first time I ate brussels sprouts and blogged about it? Who would have ever guessed that years (a decade?) later I would be eating them shaved raw in a salad by themselves.
Sure, the sweetness of the apple helps, but there’s not even bacon in this. Who am I and where did I go?!
But here’s the thing. Much like raw kale, once these shredded brussels are tossed with the dressing and kind of “marinate” for a few minutes, they soften, become less bitter and retain some crunch. Making them perfect for a salad.
Especially when a honeycrisp is involved. And cinnamon toasted walnuts. And shaved parm!
This isn’t a super hearty salad – it obviously wouldn’t be enough for dinner if you’re very hungry. Eddie would take one look at this and laugh and be like “is this my starter?”
But! If you need a light lunch or dinner, this is it.
It’s also obviously a DELISH side dish to any fall meal.
Also, brown butter dressing, what?! Don’t freak out. It’s not as serious as hot bacon dressing, which to this day is still probably my mom’s favorite dressing.
Here, we have a bit of brown butter whisked with garlic, vinegar and dijon. It’s drinkable.
Everything I want in a brussels dish right here. Crunch crunch crunch.
Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad
Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad with Brown Butter Dressing
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprout, stems removed
- 1 to 2 honeycrisp or golden delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- A few shavings of parmesan cheese
brown butter dressing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or avocado oil
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir constantly until the walnuts begin to toast and the sugar melts, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the walnuts and place them on a piece of parchment paper to cool. Once cool, chop them if you wish or break them into pieces.
- Slice the brussels into small pieces or shreds, placing them in a large bowl. Toss with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, place your sliced apples and shallots. Make the brown butter dressing below.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the dressing on the brussels sprouts and toss well. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, toss together the brussels, apples and shallots. Add the rest of the dressing and toss well. Top with the parmesan and walnuts and serve!
brown butter dressing
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and immediately begin whisking. Stir as it bubbles, and after 2 to 3 minutes or so you should see brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately, add in the garlic and continue to whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the lemon juice, dijon, salt, pepper and oil. You can let the dressing cool slightly, but it’s most delicious when served warm! Whisk it occasionally when serving because a bit of separation is normal.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Feeling all the veggies.
17 Comments on “Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad with Brown Butter Dressing.”
Pingback: Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad with Brown Butter Dressing - Kitchenpedia.co
Pingback: Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad with Brown Butter Dressing. – Foodizm.info
You have made me like Brussels sprouts too! I can wait to make this recipe!
Yummmm. This looks crisp, refreshing, & full of flavor.
Brown butter is one of my favorite things! I refuse to make chocolate chip cookies with regular butter because it makes such a difference. I am ridiculously excited about this dressing!
Pingback: Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad with Brown Butter Dressing. – yumism.site
Wouldn’t you like to know exactly what you are having for dinner each evening? How to prepare it in a fast and easy way to enable you more time to just relax in the evenings?
Here is a startling fact about cooking: It does not have to be difficult!
Pingback: Friday Faves | foodiecrush
Pingback: Freitag Faves | foodiecrush – Rezepte
great choice of ingredients love the texture too of crispy apples, thank you!
Pingback: Currently Crushing On. - How Sweet Eats
Pingback: Currently Crushing On. - Cravings Happen
This is a winner! Made it for lunches and it packs well. The flavors and textures work so well together. Would be fantastic for a holiday side dish. Can be made ahead and add the apples before serving (so they don’t brown).
I’ve made this twice now. It’s really super! Any nuts work well. Thank you!
Pingback: Fuji Apple Chicken Salad – Panera Fuji Apple Chicken Salad – recipequicks
Wow! This is amazing. Thanks to your post with all the thanksgiving recipe links. I have made it 2 x since making it for Thanksgiving!!! Brown butter…wow, I could drink the dressing so delicious! This will be a regular salad for us❤
Excellent! I will make this weekly!