Caramel Apple Old Fashioned.
A dreamy caramel apple old fashioned is just what your Thursday needs.
I’m ridiculously excited to share this DELICIOUS concoction with you. I love a quick little drink that I can make in a single glass.
There are weekends that I want to make a big pitcher of cider sangria and weekends that I want to make a single warming drink like a whiskey sour or what not. You know? Depends on the weather, our plans, my mood, my to-do list. All that jazz.
And depends on if there is caramel in the fridge.
This one starts with quick cider caramel. It makes a bit, because I didn’t want to scale down the recipe and just make two tablespoons! So make this vat of caramel and stick it in your fridge. You can make pumpkin donuts or cider churros and dip them into the caramel! Or even salted apple fritters!
You will be happy you did it. I promise.
So it’s all about the shaking. I know that an old fashioned isn’t always… shaked? Shook? But we gotta mix things up with the caramel. We use bourbon, a dash of bitters, apple cider instead of water or sugar and caramel sauce to replace the sugar for sure.
Guys. It’s GOOD.
The first time we tested this, I was so hesitant to take a sip. I figured there was no way I’d like it.
Once sip and I was in shock. It was incredible. So, so good. Yes, it has a bit more sweetness that your traditional old fashioned would have, but it’s FABULOUS.
And if the sweet isn’t you thing but you’d still like to make this, add more bourbon to the mix! Takes the sugar edge off. Ha.
Because this is my favorite time of year, I’m starting to get sad and panicky that it’s going too fast. I wish fall could last forever.
I keep making sure that we’re checking all the fall festivals, pumpkin patches, autumn drives and beer cheese recipes off our bucket list. And sangrias and festive drinks that you never make any other time of year. Plus now a new one. Because everyone needs a caramel apple cocktail!
Caramel Apple Old Fashioned
- 1.5 ounces bourbon
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 ounce apple cider
- 1 teaspoon homemade cider caramel, recipe below
- green apples, thinly sliced, for garnished
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- Fill a glass with ice. Add the bourbon, bitters, cider and caramel to a cocktail shaker and shake for a few seconds until combined. Pour over ice and garnish with green apple slices.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk to combine, then cook and stir until the mixture is bubbling. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until it slightly thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature – it will thicken as it cools. Store in a sealed jar in the fridge.
Maybe we should just drink that.