Maple BBQ Salmon with Brown Butter Couscous.
All good days end with maple BBQ salmon.
So guess what! It’s a Monday meal on a Monday!
This is SUCH a Monday recipe in my eyes. Tastes delish, is easy to throw together, is satisfying and simple. But packed with a flavor punch.
You know what a huge fan of salmon I am. I almost said “we” and used the term “in this house,” but then I remembered that Eddie doesn’t love salmon. He will eat it, but it’s not his go-to seafood or fish. He much prefers a white fish or something like shrimp or scallops.
That being said, if I really want it or if I’ve tested some new recipes, he will eat it. So I want to make it as good as possible. Because I’m still hoping to convert him, you know?
This flavor combination is ridiculously simple but GOOD. I’ve told you about this quick bbq-like spice rub for almost ten years. It’s an awesome way to get some bbq flavor and spice (think slightly sweet and smoky) without a sauce or a specific mixed spice rub. Those things are great, don’t get me wrong, but since you may not always have them on hand, this is the next best thing. I promise!
A little spice rub and a tiny maple drizzle will go a long way, I tell you.
I like to make this with a super simple yet flavorful side, since the salmon has so much taste. Pearl couscous is one of my favorites and has been since I first had it – which was maybe when I was 20? 21?
I’ve loved it ever since. Sometimes I use it as the base of my grain bowls or salads. Other times, I make a simple side like this, drizzle it with brown butter and go to town.
For a veggie, my go-to is always my parmesan roasted broccoli. I love that when combined with my favorite veg, this is a MEAL. It sounds funny, but having three components to a meal (the entree, two sides) is such a nostalgic, feel-good thing in our house. It’s how I grew up eating dinner almost every night. Sometimes when I think back to how my mom got a meal like that together almost every.single.night?! It’s crazy. And inspiring. And I love it!
So here we are. Eat up.
Maple BBQ Salmon with Brown Butter Couscous
Maple BBQ Sauce
- 2 pounds salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon brown (or maple!) sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
brown butter couscous
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup uncooked pearl couscous
- 1 ¼ cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the salmon on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and cumin. Sprinkle it all over the salmon filets. Drizzle each filet with the maple syrup and use a spoon to kind of “spread” it all over the filet.
- Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until the salmon just flakes with a fork. If desired, you can brush with a little more maple syrup when it comes out of the oven. Top with chopped chives. Serve immediately with brown butter couscous!
- brown butter couscous
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Stir in the couscous until coated, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until the couscous is slightly toasty. Add in the stock and salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the couscous is cooking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Cook, whisking often, until brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Remove the butter from the heat and stir in the garlic cloves.
- Once the couscous is finished, drizzle with the garlic brown butter. Toss and serve.
Cozy comfort right there.