Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash.
Three cheese spaghetti squash that is straight out of your dreams?
It’s here! Right here. For you to make for dinner tonight.
And it is cheesy, comfort food perfection.
Some of you might remember way back in the day when I shared my squash and cheese recipe. It’s a lighter take on mac and cheese, captured terribly as many things were in 2009 but still super delicious. And I’m always blown away every fall by how many of you still make and enjoy that recipe. And embarrassed, to be honest, because who wants to go back and read what is basically a diary entry from ten years ago?!
But still. It’s delish and probably my favorite way to enjoy spaghetti squash!
How adorable are these squash bowls?!
I LOVE cutting spaghetti squash this way because it feels even more like a cozy bowl. Like all of your squash is in that bowl and you can twirl your fork around and enjoy it on the couch while crying your eyes out to This Is Us. Or something like that.
So here’s the deal.
You cut the squash, scrape the seeds and roast it until tender. Scrape the spaghetti squash strands, toss them with some milk or cream, three cheeses and sprinkle with a few crunchy garlic bread crumbs. Bake them again for 15 minutes or so, until the cheesy is extra melty and you essentially have a bowl of squash mac and cheese.
I mean, OMG.
This is comfort food HEAVEN.
While I don’t tend to use spaghetti squash as a meal replacement (the chickpea pastas are so much better for that!), this makes a fantastic side dish or meal in itself. Words cannot even explain how much I love this recipe! It makes your kitchen smells amazing and everyone (seriously EVERYONE) who has taken a taste of it? Is completely sold.
Even those who don’t go crazy for spaghetti squash have loved this.
The best part about this recipe is that you can do this ahead of time!! I have roasted the squash up to three days ahead of time. Don’t pull the squash, just let it cool completely then wrap it up and stick it in the fridge. When you’re ready to make it, stick it in the oven to warm it up, pull the strands, then do the whole milk+cheese addition until melty. It’s embarrassingly easy. And maybe embarrassingly easiER if you use the microwave for all that. You know?
It’s so comforting. So satisfying. Really really delicious. At the same time, it’s rather light because spaghetti squash is, well… light. And you can keep twirling the strands from the sides and “adding” to your squash and cheese bowl as you go. Very much the perfect fall meal.
Three Cheese Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup freshly grated fontina cheese
- ⅓ cup freshly grated gruyere cheese
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fine seasoned bread crumbs
- ⅓ to ¾ cup milk, half and half or cream (milk works, cream will make it richer!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half width-wise, right down the center. Scrape out the seeds (I like to use a grapefruit spoon for this) and place it on a baking sheet. Spritz or brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the strands easily scrape away from the sides.
- While the squash is roasting, toss together the cheeses in a bowl. In another bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs.
- Use a fork to scrape the strands of the squash. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk or cream into each squash, then 2 to 3 tablespoons of cheese. Stir with your fork to toss and mix everything together, making sure the cheese is dispersed. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Return the squash to the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or so, until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
p.s if you’re looking for something more tomato saucy, this spaghetti squash parmesan is where it’s at!