Sticky Apricot Chicken and Broccoli.
New favorite dinner alert! This apricot chicken is about to take things over the top.
I’m not sure I can even explain how much I LOVE THIS DISH.
Holy cow. It is the best chicken recipe I have made in quite a while.
And you know! I’m always working on non-boring chicken recipes for dinner. The minute we fall into a dinner rut, especially when it involves chicken, I am over it. Instantly.
But that will not happen here. Because this meal is divine. And I’m certain that you could use almost any flavor of jam and it will work. I mean, sure, I don’t know if I’d suggest strawberry, but it will still work.
You get it.
This meal comes together quickly too, especially for how wonderful it tastes. Yes you have to make the chicken and the sauce. But it tastes much fancier, like you threw a lot more time into it. The chicken is tender and juicy, the sauce is savory and sweet. Basically all the things I love in one dish.
So! I like to serve this with roasted broccoli. But you can do whatever you want to the broccoli! Steam it. Use a frozen steamer bag and make it in the microwave so you can just add it to the chicken. Whatever makes it easier for you. Heck, even use other veggies like snap peas or green beans or what you have on hand. What’s about to die in the fridge?
And then serve it with some brown jasmine rice. I could profess my love for jasmine rice over and over again. It’s just the best. Fragrant. Wonderful. Soaks up some of the sauce and if we’re being real, a few spoonfuls of sauce and rice are the best bites you will take. I might have stood over the skillet with the pot of rice and the extra sauce.
The apricot sauce is what makes this for me. It’s made with apricot jam, soy sauce, a touch of brown sugar and garlic. When added to the pan, the sauce gets even stickier, bubbly and just.so.good.
The chicken is already in its best state: golden and toasty brown from that coating of flour. Then you go and add the sauce on top and let it simmer…oh my word. It’s LOVELY.
The kids loved it. Eddie declared it some of the best chicken ever! I now want to make it every single day. Typical.
Sticky Apricot Chicken and Broccoli
Sticky Apricot Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 to 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 to 4 cups)
- olive oil for drizzling/spraying
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- ¾ cup apricot jam/preserves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
- brown jasmine rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the broccoli on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly charred.
- While the broccoli cooks, prep the chicken. Toss the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle the flour all over the chicken and toss well until it’s coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the chicken in a single layer. Cook until browned on each side, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Whisk together the jam, minced garlic, soy sauce and brown sugar until combined. Once the chicken is brown, pour the sauce in. Stir to coat all the chicken. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, so the sauce thickens more. Sprinkle with chives. You can toss the broccoli in with the sauce or serve it on the side. I love to serve this with brown jasmine rice!
Just look at that sticky sauce!