Cheesy Bruschetta Chicken Burgers.
Time to kick off summer with bruschetta burgers!
This is what I’m bringing to the table in May and oh my gosh – I am living for it.
Okay does anyone else feel like they’ve just straight up lost two months of the year? It feels so weird to me that it’s almost Memorial Day. SO CRAZY.
My brain still thinks it is March or something. Temps are going to be close to 80 here next week and all I could think was how that isn’t possible this time of year. !!!!!
Then I’m… OH. It is that time of year.
Almost summer! Almost Memorial Day!
If we can’t do most of our traditional activities for the weekend, we have to make up for it somehow.
Maybe the burgers can make up for it.
Ohhhhh these burgers.
They are stuffed with a big hunk of mozzarella cheese. Like a cube of it. They are seasoned with salt and pepper and some italian herbs. Grilled and covered in more mozzarella cheese.
Then! On top we’re doing a quick little bruschetta mixture of tomatoes and garlic and olive oil and basil.
Oh and they are drizzled with some balsamic glaze too.
The burgers are versatile – I used chicken but you could easily use turkey and I definitely think beef would work too. You could use toast for the buns or even eat them on a salad. The cheese inside is melty and wonderful.
I was feeling brave and made my own brioche buns. That is what quarantine has done to me – forced me to bake some bread. Before this I would have made a quick trip to the store to grab buns to photograph these burgers. But noooo. I made the brioche buns myself! And they were delish.
Also threw them on the grill! Buttery brioche on the grill… heck, I may not even need the burger.
When it comes to the burger – I like to do these slider size. But it’s totally up to you. Choose based on the size of your buns!
It’s kind of like a little cheesy stuffed meatball on a bun. HELLO.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into ½ inch chunks, plus more for topping
- balsamic glaze for drizzling
- 4 to 6 buns for serving
- Note: size the burgers according to the size of your buns! You can make large burgers or smaller sliders. Also, you only need as many mozzarella cubes as you have burgers.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Let it sit at room temperature while you prepare the burgers.
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and mix in the fresh basil, dried basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and pepper flakes until combined. Divide the chicken into 6 or 8 equal pieces (or honestly, pieces that match the size of buns you have!). Form the pieces into a patty and press a cube of the mozzarella into the center. Form the patty around the mozzarella so it’s completely covered. Repeat with remaining patties and cheese cubes.
- Place the burgers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. You want to make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees F - and make sure you’re taking the temp of the meat and not the cheese in the center! Once the burger is almost done, place a slice of mozzarella on top and let it melt for 1 minute or so.
- Once the burger is done, place it on the bun and cover it with the tomato bruschetta mixture. Drizzle with balsamic glaze! Serve with the extra tomatoes on the side.
- P.S. this is slightly messy to eat because the tomatoes do start to fall out of the sides of the sandwich - but it’s so good!