Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches.
With gorgonzola slaw! Oh yes. Make these buffalo chicken sandwiches happen tonight please.
You know how sometimes you get a crazy craving in your head? One that just sounds so good and you can’t get rid of it?
This sandwich is a direct result of that.
I’ve always been a cravings based person (except when I was pregnant, weirdly enough!) and that’s never really changed. So when I thought of grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches, I couldn’t get them out of my head.
And it’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of buffalo wing flavored, well… ANYTHING.
While we’ve been quarantining, I’ve succeeded at a few things – most notably, making perfect grilled chicken. I don’t know why or how, but it’s like most other things in cooking – after doing it over and over again, you just get a feel for it and know when the chicken is ready.
So we’ve had a lot of grilled chicken! Eddie doesn’t mind. Obviously.
When you grilled it and slather it in buttery hot sauce? Wow. It doesn’t get better.
The other, maybe even more incredible, thing about this sandwich? The gorgonzola slaw. OH YES OH YES.
It’s crunchy, flavorful and just barely creamy. Basically the perfect consistency!
The gorgonzola slaw is from a recipe in my first cookbook, Seriously Delish. I served it on slow roasted chicken tacos and it’s easily one of my favorite things in the whole book.
So that’s what we have here! Gorgonzola slaw on top of saucy, slightly spicy grilled chicken. Maybe a little blue cheese sauce if you want.
Serve on a toasty, buttery and soft brioche bun.
It is heaven!
This is a quick and easy meal that you can throw together for dinner. You can make the slaw a bit ahead of time and it even keeps well in the fridge for leftovers. There’s a lot of flavor, texture and it’s satisfying too.
You can also slice the chicken and serve it over the slaw, minus the bun!
We’ve got it all covered for dinner now.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 to 3 cups chopped/shredded green or savoy cabbage, or 1 (14oz) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese, plus extra for serving if you wish
- 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or avocado oil or another oil you love
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your grill to the highest setting.
- For the chicken, I like to use thin sliced breasts because I think they are easier to eat on a sandwich. I usually buy chicken breasts and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Season the chicken breasts all over with a pinch of salt, pepper and the smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and place the hot sauce and butter in it. Cook just until the butter melts, stirring often. You can also do this in the microwave!
- You want the grill heat between 400 and 450 degrees, so reduce the heat slightly if needed. Place the chicken on the grill. Grill for 4 minutes, then flip and grill for 3 minutes more. Brush the chicken with the buffalo wing sauce. Flip, brush the other side, and grill for another minute. You can do this 1 or 2 more times, you want the internal temperature to be 165 degrees F. It may take more or less time based on the thickness of your chicken breast! You can also throw the buns on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes if you’d like.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and brush it with more of the buffalo sauce.
- To serve, if desired you can add a little bit of blue cheese dressing or ranch on the bottom of the bun. Top with the chicken breast (or 2, if you’re my husband), then top with the slaw. You can add an extra sprinkle of gorgonzola too! Eat immediately. Yum.
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the cheese, yogurt, lime juice and olive oil. Pour it over the cabbage and toss thoroughly until everything is combined. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and toss well. The slaw will not be super creamy and saucy - it’s very much a light coating.