Crispy Chipotle Cheddar Smashed Potatoes.
How to make chipotle cheddar smashed potatoes and elevate your life!
Just joking. Sort of. I mean, these might elevate your life right now in a delicious, spicy way?
It’s worth a try.
I’m popping in today with this bonus cop-out recipe for you because it’s just TOO good. I wanted to share it with you in case you need a quick side dish (or, let’s be honest… a snack?) with all the cooking you’re doing at home. P.S. who else is majorly over the dishes situation?
We make crispy smashed potatoes constantly in this house. They are easily Eddie’s favorite side dish.
Judging from how much you guys make this recipe, I think you love them too!
They are easy, you can prep them ahead of time (I do at least every other week) and they just taste.so.good. And the best best best part is that they go with so many dishes.
Oh and that they are wildly versatile.
All the exclamation points. Because who wouldn’t want to eat this?
I love a smashed potato recipe so much that I included it in my next cookbook, along with a sweet potato version. So excited for you to see!
We make the classic version constantly, but sometimes I like to switch it up. Obviously, since I have the I’m-always-bored brain the kitchen.
Depends on what the main meal is, you know?
These potatoes are showered with chipotle chili powder, roasted until crispy (the edges are everything) and then smothered in cheddar cheese.
After a quick bake for the cheese to melt, I top them with plain greek yogurt, a few bacon shards and chives. They are spicy but cheesy and crunchy. A little tangy and refreshing from the yogurt. Savory and crisp from the bacon. Seriously, they are just outstanding.
We are in BUSINESS.
Chipotle Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Chipotle Cheddar Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- plain greek yogurt or sour cream, for topping
- fresh chives or scallions, for topping
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Simmer the potatoes until they are just barely fork tender. Strain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the potatoes on the sheet. Use your hand or the bottom of a glass to smash them once, trying to keep them in one piece. It’s okay if they kind of break apart!
- Drizzle or brush the remaining olive oil over the potatoes. I actually use an olive oil spritzer for this part! Sprinkle the potatoes with the chipotle chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, until golden and crispy. While the potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle cheddar on the tops of each. Bake for 5 minutes more, until the cheese melts. Remove and top with yogurt/sour cream, bacon and chives. Serve immediately!
Who wants to fight me for the cheese on the baking sheet?