Zucchini Ribbon Skewers with Spicy Lemon Garlic Butter.
These buttery, lemony zucchini skewers are perfect for your summer menu!
I mean, say hello to my new favorite summer side dish!
I’m having a moment with skewers. Basically, I’m out of things to do while we’re staying at home (but really?) so I’ve just decided to take up time by skewering all the foods.
Not really, but kind of. It does take up some time and taste fantastic, so there’s that.
How pretty are those ribbons?
P.S. these are the skewers that I have and I LOVE them.
Before we talk about the main part of the recipe, let’s discuss this butter.
I want to jump in that pan and melt right along with those ingredients.
Even though this recipe is all about zucchini, we’re melting butter, lemon zest, garlic and chili flakes together until melty and buttery and brushable.
Seriously, this stuff is like liquid gold.
I am in LOVE with this recipe. It’s a great way to get in some veggies – a fun and fancy new way to enjoy zucchini. You serve this as the skewers or slice the squash off the skewer onto your plate. The flavor is incredible, the edges get crispy, the insides stay soft and the whole thing is one big party in your mouth.
So, about slicing that zucchini…
If you have a large mandolin, you could slice the zucchini lengthwise into super thin pieces. I prefer to just use a vegetable peeler! It’s easier and you can still get long strands. And if you get short pieces, those work too.
I do not suggest using a knife, because it’s sooooo super hard to get the pieces thin enough – where they won’t break apart when skewered.
Yes, this is a little more high maintenance than simply throwing the strips on the grill, but they are so pretty and delicious. Plus, it’s fun to scrunch the zucchini slices into ribbons and then skewer them!
And then we brush with the spicy garlic lemon butter before grilling.
Oh mylanta – that stuff is straight up drinkable.
You can use e a grill pan or throw these directly on the grates. They are SO GOOD. Charred and smoky.
And of course! If you’re not in the mood to make these ribbons or you don’t have the time, slice the zucchini into rounds and skewer those. Or brush slices of zucchini with the lemon butter and grill like that. You still get all the flavor!
The key is: zucchini/summer squash + lemon butter. The rest is up to you!
Zucchini Skewers with Spicy Lemon Butter
Zucchini Ribbon Skewers with Spicy Lemon Butter
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 2 medium summer squash
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, like parsley and basil
lemon garlic butter
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Note: 4 medium-ish zucchini usually results in 6 to 8 skewers for me. This will all depend on how thin you slice the zucchini. I highly suggest using a vegetable peeler or mandolin. If you try to slice it with a knife, the pieces will most likely be too thick and will break when you try to skewer them.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, spray or brush it with olive oil.
- Stand each zucchini up at its base and use a vegetable peeler from the top down to create thin ribbons of squash. It’s okay if they aren’t perfect! You’re going to skewer them anyway. Lay the ribbons out on a baking sheet or cutting board in a single layer.
- Brush the lemon butter over one side of the squash. Then take each slice and fold it back and forth a few times, skewering it through the center. I use 8 to 10 thin sliced on each skewer, but you can use more or less! Just make sure they are skewered through the center and close together. Place each skewer either on a baking sheet or directly on a grill pan to transfer to the grill.
- When all the skewers are ready, give them a final brush with the lemon butter. (If you have leftovers, you can also brush more on after!) Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before rotating. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes then rotate one more time and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the skewers and brush with even more of the lemon butter if you wish! Sprinkle with the fresh herbs. You can serve these on the skewer or you can easily slice the zucchini off onto your plate.
lemon garlic butter
- Add all the ingredients together in a saucepan and heat over low heat until bubbling. Remove from the heat and use immediately.
Those edges are like zucchini crisps. YES.