Grilled Asparagus Caesar.
I’m here to tell you that you need this grilled asparagus caesar salad in your life!
I swear. It’s not just any old asparagus.
Oh my gosh. This… is so delicious. So much tastier than it even looks. Truly!
This is the best thing I’ve eaten off the grill in a long time. And if you follow my week in the life posts, then you know we grill all year long! I still usually grill at least one dinner a week and we grill on the weekends too, even when it’s cold and snowy.
So it’s not like we’ve been without the grill!
But there is something about this asparagus. Maybe because it’s the first REAL taste of spring and summer off of the grill?
The recipe could not be more simple! Perfect for your easter or spring brunch.
It’s my yogurt caesar dressing – I know I just rambled on about it when I shared our go-to kale caesar.
Asparagus spears that are tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper then thrown on the grill. In a pinch you really could roast these but they just won’t have that smoky, charred flavor.
There’s lots of parmesan.
I like to use both shaved parmesan and then a finely grated parmesan to really hit all the spots.
And sourdough croutons! I like to grill the sourdough slices too, then chop or tear them into pieces. Of course, you could do breadcrumbs like I do in the kale salad. But having bigger croutons here makes the whole dish a little more substantial since there aren’t any greens.
The secret is seasoning everything as you go. Seasoning the asparagus, the bread, the dressing. It’s key!
Oh! And let me tell you about my asparagus caesar hack. Last week I grilled the asparagus and the bread. And then I drizzle the caesar on a slice of the bread, topped it with multiple asparagus spears and parmesan. Kind of like an asparagus caesar toast!
It was perfect too.
Really, it’s all of the flavors here that come together and make you crave warmer weather. Charred, smoky vegetables, creamy dressing, crunchy, golden sourdough. Nutty and savory parmesan.
Everything is super simple, but really delicious when combined. I love a recipe like that.
And yes, of course, make the dressing ahead of time! It’s my go-to caesar that I make in the blender. Store it in the fridge for a few days and use it for ALLLLLL the things.
Very certain this is going to be on repeat for the next six months.
Grilled Asparagus Caesar Salad
Grilled Asparagus Caesar
- As a note, make the dressing first! You can make this a day or two ahead of time and store it in the fridge too.
- Preheat your grill to a medium-high setting. Let the grates get hot for at least 10 minutes!
- Remove the woody stems from the asparagus spears. Toss them with 1.5 tablespoons of the olive oil and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Brush the sourdough slices with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle all over with kosher salt and even some garlic powder.
- Place the asparagus spears directly on the grill (in the opposite direction of how the grates run, so they don’t fall through the cracks!). Grill for 5 to 6 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the spears are slightly charred. I also throw the sourdough on the grates at the same time. The bread needs about 1 to 2 minutes per side, until it’s toasty with grill marks.
- Remove the asparagus and bread from the grill. Slice or tear the sourdough into smaller crouton pieces.
- Place the asparagus on a plate and drizzle all over with the caesar dressing - use as much or as little as you’d like. Top with the shaved parmesan cheese. Top with the sourdough croutons. Top with the finely grated parmesan. Serve immediately!
- To make the dressing, add the garlic, yogurt, parmesan, mustard, vinegar, anchovy paste, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until pureed. With the processor still on, stream in the olive oil until a creamy dressing forms. (This will probably make more dressing than needed, but you can store it sealed in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days and stir well before using.)
Might just do this with green beans too…