Crispy Smashed Chili Sweet Potatoes. (An Everyday Dinners Sneak Peek!)
Crispy smashed sweet potatoes are crunchy, sweet, savory and heavenly!
Today I’m sharing another sneak peek recipe from my new book, Everyday Dinners! This dish has everything I love: tons of texture and flavor, and makes for the perfect side dish, snack or even dinner!
We are almost one month away from the launch of Everyday Dinners! AHHHH!!
I cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on this book. It is SO perfect for right now. If you’re experiencing major dinner burnout after a year of cooking at home, or if you just need some ideas to spice things up on the weekends, it is the book for you.
It is chock full of 30 minute weeknight meals. It’s based on my 10 minute meal prep strategy, which is truly the only way I get dinner on the table during the week. The meals are flavorful, stress-free and the best to come out of my kitchen!
You can also preorder from:
Initially, Everyday Dinners was going to be ONLY dinner recipes. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it is all dinner recipes. But, I wanted to include a few of my favorite side dishes that could go with everything. Side dishes that weren’t too over the top – ones that would go great with all sorts of dishes.
And here we are!
So I just KNEW we would love this method when it came to sweet potatoes. Especially me! I’ve had a weird thing about sweet potatoes ever since I was pregnant with Emilia (they were my only real food aversion), and I’ve done lots of things over the last two years to love them again.
This is one of them!
Making a sweet potato version of crispy smashed potatoes is a little different. You want to cut a sweet potato into thirds – or if it’s really large, even four pieces. But then, you make them the same way!
Par boil the potatoes – just until they are smashed, but not TOO soft. Then you place them on a baking sheet, smash them with the bottom of a glass and season the heck out of them.
Then! Roast until the edges are super crispy.
While they are really delicious just like this, I love this version topped with chili garlic sauce, feta and herbs.
Oh my gosh.
It’s like a sweet and spicy combo with creamy feta and refreshing herbs. All with the crispy ends of the potato! So ridiculously good.
This recipe takes a little longer than 30 minutes to come together fully, but I like to combat that with some of the meal prep. I chop and par-boil the sweet potatoes ahead of time, then store them in a container in the fridge. This allows the recipe to come together in 20 to 25 minutes when I want to serve it, which is perfect! These can usually roast while something else is cooking on the stove.
These will be a new favorite!
Crispy Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Smashed Chili Sweet Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes in thirds - or if you have very large sweet potatoes, even 4 or 5 pieces. I like to leave the skin on, but feel free to peel them!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Boil the potatoes until they are just barely fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the potatoes on the sheet. Use your hand or the bottom of a glass to smash them once, trying to keep them in one piece.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with the salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Remove and drizzle with the chili garlic sauce. Top with a crumbling of feta cheese and herbs. Serve immediately.
Look at those edges. OMG.