Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Avocado Salsa.
These grilled chili lime chicken tacos are loaded with smoky, charred flavor! They’re also topped with a grilled pineapple avocado salsa that is incredible. Throw on some cotija cheese, pickled onions and you’re good to go.
Chili lime chicken tacos are the star of the show today!
Orrrrr maybe, the grilled pineapple avocado salsa is the star of the show. Make a bowl of that and pass the chips please!
Actually, the real star of this show is Tajin! I love using Tajin seasoning for just about anything – all my meats, roasted vegetables and even the rim of a margarita (when I can drink them, haha). Today, the chicken marinates in Tajin and tastes like heaven.
If you haven’t tried Tajin before, it’s not overly spicy. I don’t love a ton of heat and I find it to be more like chili powder mixed with fresh lime. The lime flavor is so fantastic here!
If you can’t find Tajin or would prefer something else, I’ve also found chili lime seasoning at Target and Trader Joe’s before too. If neither of those options work either, you can make your own! I suggest combining chili powder, a bit of salt and pepper, garlic powder and fresh lime zest. It will taste fantastic.
After the chicken takes a little Tajin soak, I grill it for even more smoky, charred flavor. It’s divine!
At the same time, I grill some pineapple spears too. If you’ve been around this blog long enough you probably remember back in 2009 when I had an obsession with fruit salsa. I mean, I still do have an obsession with fruit salsa! I’ve probably made just about every version of fruit salsa there is. Almost.
In this case, I wanted to do a smoky grilled pineapple, which in turn would caramelize ever so slightly and that would bring out the sweetness. Combine that with some creamy avocado and spicy jalapeño. And a few classics like red onion and cilantro and lime.
Oh my WORD.
You will love this salsa so much. Seriously considering just eating it with a spoon and calling it a salad. I mean, that would work, right?
The chili lime chicken and the grilled pineapple salsa are two powerhouse flavors. They are perfect together in a tortilla.
Speaking of tortillas, I like to also throw my tortillas on the grill super quick. I keep them warm in foil or in a low oven.
Then once the chicken and salsa is in the tortilla, I add just a few other toppings. Basically, ones I can’t live without… you know.
Those would be cotija cheese, which I buy and crumble and could use on everything! It’s so deliciously tangy and wonderful.
And pickled onions! No shock there. I have them in my fridge every single week and use them on salads, burgers, tacos, nachos, everything. They are super versatile and add another punch of flavor.
Sounds amazing, right?
They totally are! Please let them make an appearance in your kitchen this weekend.
Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tajin seasoning, or chili lime seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pineapple spears
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 to 12 flour tortillas, or corn, if that’s what you prefer
- crumbled cotija cheese, for serving
- pickled red onions, serving
- In a bowl, toss the chicken with the chili lime seasoning all over. Add in the olive oil. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight.
- When you’re ready to grill, remove the chicken from the fridge about 30 minutes before. Preheat your grill to the highest heat for 10 minutes.
- Place the pineapple spears on a baking sheet and brush or spray them with olive oil. You can add a sprinkle of salt and pepper too!
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grates. Grill about 5 minutes per side, until golden and charred and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- I grill the pineapple and the tortillas at the same time as the chicken too! Place the pineapple on the grates and grill for a few minutes per side, until grill marks appear. I also throw the tortillas on the grill to get some smoky flavor! You can do this while grilling and then keep them wrapped in foil or in a very low temp to keep them warm.
- To make the salsa, chop up the grilled pineapple spears. Place them in a bowl and combine them with the jalapeño, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Chop the chicken into pieces. Assemble the chicken on the tortillas and top with the pineapple salsa. I also like to add on cotija cheese and pickled onions. Serve immediately!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
6 Comments on “Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Avocado Salsa.”
Pingback: Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Avocado Salsa. | bakkbenchersnetwork.com
These look amazing. Love tajin on fresh fruit, never thought of marinating meat with it. Gotta try
Pingback: Wallflower Weekly Finds, 316 - Cooking with a Wallflower
I made this last night for dinner. These were so, so good! I loved the pineapple salsa – it made the dish fresh and bright. I mashed avocado and spread it on the tortilla vs. chunks in the salsa. I also added some sliced radishes for some extra crunch.
Love this recipe. With a touch of Spanish olive oil extra virgin.
I made these last night and they were amazing!! My three kids loved them (I made a smaller bowl of the salsa but without the jalapeños for my two younger ones, and then the normal (delicious) salsa for us). The spice is AMAZING! I’ve never had it before, so thank you for the introduction to Tajin! This recipe is definitely in the rotation, thank you for it!! A family favorite!