Hot Lobster Roll Dip.
This hot lobster dip is bubbly and cheesy and topped with crunchy potato chips! Always a huge crowd pleaser and feels super fancy!
Let’s end summer on the most delicious note!
This lobster dip is the perfect summer treat. I mean, just give me a bowl of this, a baguette and some wine and I am good to go.
I first made this recipe on Christmas Eve on a total whim. You may have seen it on instagram!
I always make lobster mac and cheese, but last year with the way the world was going, our christmas celebration was so much smaller. Like, just basically us and 3 family members. So instead of making a my usual large pan of lobster mac, I ended up making hot lobster dip.
Oh yes I did.
It was SO good. We couldn’t stop eating it! And that’s when this recipe was born.
I’ve improved it along the way. Making it on a weekend here and there, preparing it for parties and changing up herbs, lemon and all the flavors.
It is absolutely wonderful and we can’t get enough!
The key here is to use a ton of fresh herbs AND lemon – to brighten things up. It almost tastes like one of my warm and buttery lobster rolls. I love to use chives and especially dill. These both make the dip taste really fancy, even though it isn’t at all.
All hot, cheesy, bubbly, golden on top.
IT’S A DREAM.
A secret: I just use langostino lobster for this dip. I have made it with regular lobster meat, but if you can find the langostinos, they are perfect! First, it’s easier and less work. No taking anything out of the shell or boiling anything. You can chop the langostinos a bit but it’s not necessary.
Next, it’s definitely more affordable! I find langostino lobster tails at trader joes and sometimes even costco.
Finally, it tastes just as good. And using langostino lobster tails ensures that everyone gets a bite of lobster in their dip!
I’ve also used the langostino tails in my lobster mac recipe, especially if I’m making a really big batch for a party. Still tastes just as wonderful!
I took a cue from my mom’s potato casserole – she tops it with potato chips – and crushed them on top of the dip before baking. Um, that’s incredible. Just FYI.
Also P.S. let me know if you want my mom’s potato casserole recipe! She’s made them FOREVER – like 40 years – and I’ve never shared because it there are so many cheesy potato dishes out there. It’s definitely semi-homemade but it is fantastic and the whole dish goes like crazy at any party.
So back to the chips and the lobster dip. Oh my word.
It’s been forever since I made a dip like this. Remember my white pizza dip? Oh my gosh, that recipe was viral for years. It still is! And it’s been a long time since I’ve made super cheesy dips, but when I do they are always devoured instantly.
Yes, it’s a super decadent and rich dip. It’s so wonderful. Serve it with chilled white wine or cold beers for happy hour. It’s lovely!
Hot Lobster Dip
Hot Lobster Dip
- 1 pound langostino lobster, thawed if frozen (you want it to be cooked already)
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- kosher salt and pepper
- crushed potato chips, for topping
- potato chips and crackers, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the langostino lobster completely dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix (or beat with a mixer!) the cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, mustard, chives, lemon zest and dill with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in the grated gruyere, parmesan and langostino.
- Spread the dip in a baking dish (like an 8-inch pie plate, or something similar!) and top it with crushed potato chips. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until it’s bubbling and hot! Top with fresh herbs or chives if you wish. Serve with chips and crackers.
Classy classy chips!