Crispy Baked Cheeseburger Tacos with How Sweet Eats House Sauce.
We love these crispy baked cheeseburger tacos! It’s like cheeseburger meets crunchy taco, drizzled in my delicious house sauce. You have to try it!
Today we’re putting a burger in a taco and eating it!
Please forgive me.
This is another easy and delish weeknight meal that is a big hit in our house. With everyone! It’s like a cheesy burger meets taco in a crispy shell. It’s simple to eat, you can make a bunch at once on a sheet pan and they are dippable too.
Yes dippable. Let’s make that a new word. Dippable foods are the best foods!
Have you made my cheeseburger tostadas yet?! Oh they are SO so good. Crunchy tortillas, flavorful beef/ground turkey, my house sauce – they’re dreamy!
These are kind of like those, but made into tacos. A mash of of the cheeseburger tostadas and my crispy baked chicken tacos that we love so much. Lots of flavor, lots of texture and the best part is that they are BAKED.
The tacos get SO crunchy and crispy in the oven. Especially when the cheese oozes out of the tortilla onto the baking sheet, and also gets crispy and crunchy… oh my word.
That’s easily my favorite part. I will always steal all the burnt, bubbly cheese off of any dish.
This is why I love them so much:
They are fully customizable. I like to use ground turkey or ground beef. You could even use the impossible beef or something similar.to make it plant based.
Add WHATEVER ingredients you like! Yes yes yes. You can throw in some mushrooms and onions. Maybe some diced green chiles. Whatever sounds good to you and whatever you like.
Same with the cheese. Go traditional with cheddar or try blue cheese (maybe add bacon!?) or even swiss cheese (definitely do the mushrooms then!). Options are endless. Especially if you’re a cheese lover. Also known as the best kind of person.
Add all the fixings to serve! Same as above – use what you love here. Different sauces. My house sauce!! Different toppings or vegetables. Anything extra to make it more of a “meal” – you know what I’m saying?
Here’s how the baked cheeseburger tacos go down:
My preference is ground turkey most of the time. Whether using ground beef or ground turkey, be sure to season it with salt, pepper, ketchup and mustard.
OH YES. I said ketchup and mustard. I’ve talked about this in my other burger-ish recipes (like my cheeseburger chopped salad!), but adding these gives it a true burger flavor. It doesn’t taste like mustard, I promise.
The filling is just the ground beef mixture and cheese. If you add anything else, add it to the skillet with the beef.
Make sure your tortillas are warm! This helps them fold without breaking. You also don’t want to overstuff said tortillas.
Get some olive oil spray. I use this daily. Spray the sheet pan and outsides of the tortillas help them get so super crispy and delicious. The crunch is unreal!
Then it’s time to bake. And wait! While you wait, chop some tomatoes, lettuce and definitely get out the pickled onions in your fridge because I know you have them! They are life giving. Make the house sauce. Also life giving.
Serve it all up and ENJOY.
These are something the whole family absolutely loves. They have so much texture and crunch, are loaded with flavor, are fun to eat and are super satisfying too.
And now, you don’t have to choose between burgers and tacos for dinner!
Baked Cheeseburger Tacos
Baked Cheeseburger Tacos
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey or beef
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 12 4-inch corn tortillas
- olive oil spray
- chopped tomatoes, for topping
- shredded lettuce, for topping
- pickled onions, for topping
- pickles or relish, for topping
how sweet eats house sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon your favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush or spray a baking sheet with olive oil so it’s coated for the tortillas.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey or beef with a big pinch of salt and pepper and cook until browned, breaking it apart into small crumbles. Stir in the ketchup and mustard until combined. Turn off the heat and add in a sprinkle of cheese - just an ounce or two.
- Slightly warm your tortillas so they don’t break. I do this either in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds – you just want them more pliable so they roll. You can keep them in between damp paper towels, so they stay pliable without breaking. I warm about 4 at a time, and then build 4 tacos, then warm 4 more, and so on. Just try to move quickly and carefully so they don’t break!
- Fill each tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the ground beef/turkey. Top with a pinch of the shredded cheddar. Fold over the tortilla and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and place them on the sheet. Spray or brush the outsides of the tortillas with olive oil.
- Bake the tacos for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve the tacos immediately with the shredded lettuce, pickled onions, tomatoes and house sauce!
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and combined. You can make this a day or so ahead of time!
I can’t get enough of these crunchy bites.