Spring Couscous Bowls with Lemon Feta Vinaigrette.
These spring couscous bowls are loaded with chickpeas, roasted asparagus, fresh herbs, roasted pistachios and drizzled all over with a lemon feta vinaigrette. So delicious for lunch or dinner and leftovers are great!
These bowls are the epitome of spring!
These spring couscous bowls have a base of chickpeas and couscous, topped with roasted asparagus, thinly sliced green onions, chopped pistachios, lots of fresh herbs and a lemon feta vinaigrette.
I mean – the flavor is INCREDIBLE.
This spring bowl is just delightful. It’s filling and super satisfying while at the same time bright and refreshing with all the spring flavors.
A bowl like this is the kind of meal that I love to eat for lunch or dinner, especially once the weather warms up. Everything can usually be prepared ahead of time. Most bowls, like this one, can even be combined ahead of time, then dressed right before eating. Leftovers with the dressing on also taste wonderful, because everything soaks up the vinaigrette and gets even more incredible.
Basically you cannot go wrong.
This comes together really easily, and of course you can add whatever else you love.
Here’s the details!
- Cook the grains first! I love using pearl couscous. It’s been a favorite of mine for years and it’s my go-to grain bowl base. Of course you can also use quinoa or bulgur or orzo or rice. Anything you love for that base. It can be made ahead of time too. One of my best tips for making weekly meals come together easily is to cook some grains ahead of time and store them in the fridge. They are incredibly versatile for main or side dishes!
- Beans bean beans. I love adding chickpeas to this. They have a little crunch (you could even roast them for more crunch!) and make this insanely filling. You can swap out the beans to use what you have on hand. If you’re not a bean person, you can leave them out. And always add chicken or shrimp or even tofu instead.
- My vegetable of choice right now is asparagus. I love it so much and when it’s in season, the thin spears taste so good.
- Green onions and fresh herbs. Any herbs that you love work. I like using parsley and basil. And then slicing my green onions or chives super thin.
- The nuts! Pistachios scream spring to me. Maybe it’s their pretty green color. I love them so! They are so buttery and rich and they add wonderful savory flavor to this bowl.
Let’s talk vinaigrette. Yes, I am a vinaigrette fanatic. I could make up a new version everyday and enjoy it so much. This lemon feta vinaigrette is a take on the smashed feta vinaigrette from my grilled vegetable orzo salad. That is one of my favorite recipes of all time and I have to say – so is the dressing.
The feta gets so super delicious in the vinaigrette because it marinates. The dressing becomes slightly creamy from the cheese but still stays tart, briney and drizzle-able over the bowl. I could eat this with a spoon.
The version on this couscous bowl is much more lemony and a little less herby. I love this dressing so much that I’m sharing another recipe in a few weeks that uses it as well.
I just can’t handle how versatile a bowl like this is. This ie everything I need in my life right now because it is fast and nourishing. In fact, it would be embarrassing for me to tell you how often I eat a grain bowl during the week. It’s my go-to easy lunch or dinner and with a few minutes of planning or prep, comes together so quickly.
Plus, everything is just so super delish as it sits and marries in the bowl. There’s texture (I live for the crunch!) and brightness. The dressing with feta brings this rich creamy flavor that is unexpected.
It all tastes so, so good.
Spring Couscous Bowlswith Lemon Feta Vinaigrette
Spring Couscous Bowls with Lemon Feta Vinaigrette
- 3 cups cooked couscous,
- 1 pound asparagus spears, woody stems removed
- olive oil for drizzling or olive oil spray
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, like parsley, basil, cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped roasted pistachios
lemon feta vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, like parsley and chives
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the couscous if you haven’t previously or don’t have a leftover grain. Make the couscous according to the directions, which will probably call for it to cook for 12 to 15 minutes. While it cooks, roast the asparagus.
- Spray or drizzle the asparagus spears with olive oil and sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until your desired crispness is reached. If the spears are very thin, you may only need to roast for 8 to 10 minutes!
- Place the couscous in a large bowl. Add the chickpeas, green onions and fresh herbs. Drizzle on a bit of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Top with the asparagus spears and pistachios. Drizzle with more dressing - as much as you’d like. Serve!
lemon feta vinaigrette
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, lemon zest, honey, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Stir in the feta cheese. This can be made a day ahead of time!
And very greeeeen.