Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki Slaw.
We love these falafel burgers! Crispy, chewy falafel burgers on a toasted english muffin bun with a tzatziki slaw and pickled onions. This meal is absolute perfection!
Now this is my kind of burger.
A loaded falafel burger on a toasted english muffin with crisp tzatziki slaw? Sign me up.
I could eat this every single day and be thrilled!
Truly, this burger is heavenly.
I’ve made chickpea burgers before, along with baked falafel and even green goddess falafel. It’s one of my favorite things! The serious texture of falafel is unmatched – so many delicious flavors and incredible tastes. I love how herby they are, how every bite has a bit of crunch in there.
And let’s talk about the bun. I love a burger on an english muffin. I’ve done this before and it’s such a lovely twist – the english muffin is so toasty with all the nooks and crannies. I love how it complements any burger, but especially this crispy falafel.
I love how versatile these are. You can make regular burgers or sliders. You can also just serve them alone with the slaw on top – even that is such a delicious way to enjoy them!
To make the falafel burgers, I soak the chickpeas overnight. This is key! It does require some prep ahead of time for that reason. But I promise it is worth it. I adapted the recipe from my crunchy chickpea burgers and these turned out perfect.
Then everything goes into the food processor. A bunch of parsley, onion, cilantro, basil and chives. Some garlic and cumin, lemon zest and smoked paprika.
See? I told you all of my favorite things! So many fresh herbs, all the best flavors.
I pulse that together until it can be formed into burger patties. Don’t blend it up completely – just pulse so everything is in small crumbs! You can bring the patties together with your hands.
Then I do a pan-fry until they are golden and crisp and crunchy on the outsides.
OH MY WORD.
These cannot be beat. Perfect falafel with a little zing and lemony brightness.
Oh and let’s chat about the topping! Tzatziki slaw may be a new staple around here.
To make the tzatziki slaw, I thinly slice a bunch of cabbage. I make a quick tzatziki with yogurt and grated cucumber and combine it all. Nothing ground breaking, but I haven’t done this until recently and I’m wondering why.
This may be my new favorite way to eat tzatziki!?
It’s such a great way to make a quick slaw that has tons of flavor for the top of the burger!
This burger is everything!
Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki Slaw
- 1 ½ cups dry chickpeas, soaked overnight
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- toasted english muffins, for serving
- pickled onions, for serving
tzatziki and slaw
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup grated cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest freshly grated
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- Place the chickpeas, onion, herbs, garlic, flour, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon zest and paprika in a food processor. Pulse the mixture until it is combined and you have coarse crumbs. You want the mixture to have texture, so don’t blend all the chunks away!
- Form the mixture into burger patties. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the falafel patties and cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve on toasted english muffins. Spread some tzatziki on the bottom of the muffin bun. Add the falafel burger and top with the slaw and pickled onions. Serve!
- tzatziki and slaw
- Whisk the yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic and lemon together with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and season more if needed. I like to make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge - it’s so flavorful!
- To make the slaw, add ¼ to ⅓ cup of the tzatziki in with the shredded cabbage and toss well. Serve on top of the burgers!
Serious texture lover’s dream.