Grilled Street Corn Grilled Cheese.
This street corn grilled cheese is the sandwich of the summer! Charred corn with melty cheddar on toasted bread with cilantro lime butter, chili lime seasoning and a sprinkle of cotija cheese. It’s fantastic.
Street corn grilled cheese just may be my new favorite thing for all of summer.
This is for everyone who loves every version of grilled mexican street corn!
This little grilled cheese doesn’t look like much but I can’t even explain how much it is bursting with flavor. We have sweet corn, melty cheddar, crumbly cotija and salty chili lime seasoning with a kick. Every bite is something special and it’s more delicious than I can even explain!
I love a classic elote recipe and while I’ve never made one that is traditional and authentic, it’s an item on the menu that Eddie and I can’t resist. The flavors are so delicious and crunchy and wonderful.
So I’ve wanted to make a version of summer corn grilled cheese for years now and this one came at the perfect moment.
These flavors together create absolute magic, with the sandwich tasting about a thousand times better than I expected. With the combination of the outside spread, the cheese, the crunchy corn and the toppings, this takes a traditional grilled cheese over the top and makes everything feel extra fancy and special.
There is a ton of texture, so much crunch, so much cheese!
As if I need to explain how much I adore grilled cheese.
Okay, this is how it comes together!
I grill the corn first and slice it off the cob. You can do this however you wish – use leftover corn, don’t grill it at all, whatever is easiest. The key is to have good, crisp fresh corn here – that is what makes it great. Of course, if you’re making this in the off season, manage with what you can find.
We start with a cilantro lime butter. Oooooh yes. Fresh cilantro and lime and salt in a softened butter. That’s going to be the spread on the outsides of the bread! You can also use mayo in this situation if you want to keep that element in the recipe.
The inside of the grilled cheese consists of the corn, some grated cheddar cheese and thinly sliced scallions. Lots of flavor here, the corn stays relatively crisp and if you use sharp cheddar… it’s perfect.
After cooking the grilled cheese in a pan, out come the toppings. I like to sprinkle on cotija cheese, some chili lime seasoning (I love tajin) and fresh cilantro. You could also do a tiny mayo drizzle if you wish.
OH MY WORD.
Don’t skip the toppings here. They MAKE the grilled cheese – adding a touch of spice, some tangy lime flavor and creamy cheese.
Why is this one of the best things I’ve ever tasted? It has everything I love: some crunch, melty cheese, a little heat, a bit of sweet. It is perfect.
Street Corn Grilled Cheese
Street Corn Grilled Cheese
- 2 ears corn on the cob, grilled
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- kosher salt
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 pinch of chili lime seasoning
- To grill the corn, heat the grill over high heat. Place the ears directly on the grill and cook until they are just charred, turning often. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes. You can use leftover corn or fresh corn too! Once the ears are cool, slice the corn off the cob.
- Stir together the softened butter, cilantro, lime zest and a big pinch of salt. Mix until combined.
- Spread the outsides of the bread with the cilantro lime butter. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Place 2 slices of the bread butter-side down in the skillet, top with the cheese, the corn and the green onions. Top with the remaining slices of bread, butter-side up.
- Cook over low to medium-low heat, doing so slowly until the cheese melts. Once the bottom is golden and toasty, flip and cook until the other side is golden too.
- Remove immediately and top with cotija cheese, a sprinkle of chili lime seasoning and fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
I want every last bit.
13 Comments on “Grilled Street Corn Grilled Cheese.”
OMG, this is GENIUS!! You are a wizard, Jess. A delicious, delicious wizard 😂🥰😘
thank you! xo
Hello! :) Would you be able to provide the link to the world map puzzle? It was in the Crumbs post. Thank you!
yes!! it’s this one
this sounds soooo good
Why do people rate a recipe they’ve never even made/tried? Can’t wait for your review where you’ve substituted frozen green beans for char-grilled fresh corn; Kraft American Cheese or Velveeta for sharp cheddar; margarine for butter; and cream cheese for cojita.
Wow, this looks great! You never fail with the most creatively delicious recipes! Can’t wait to try this.
That dish look delicious, I wanna try at home today.
OK it’s 7 am and I’m reading this recipe and wanting to go make it NOW. These recipes are treacherous for a dieter. but having no “won’t” power am heading for my favorite mex store today. Grilled cheese will never be the same!!! Thanks for sharing this.
Just tried this subbing Mexican Street Corn mix from Costco for the fresh corn. It gave it an even creamier inside :) My husband was like, we’re only having a sandwhich for dinner. And then he changed his tune once he took a bite. Sooo good and something I would have never even dreamed of.
So glad I tried this – an amazing sandwich! I didn’t have any chili lime seasoning but did have some farm fresh corn that I roasted on the grill. This is a new favorite. Indescribably delicious…
When I got here and I just make that and eat that It’s a amazing..