Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn!
Wait! Please don’t leave. I promise there’s a really good reason to make flaming hot cheetos grilled corn.
I swear. There is a legitimate reason for covering your corn in these spicy, crunchy crumbs and then eating it. I promise.
It might even become one of your favorite summer treats!
Let’s be real: it’s definitely a treat. And if we’re cooking at home all summer, things gotta be good.
Now, I didn’t make this recipe up. You may remember two years ago when I was doing a book signing for The Pretty Dish in Boston, we had flaming hot cheetos street corn one night.
It was SO good.
And guys, here’s the biggest thing. I am not a cheetos fan, and I’m certainly not a flaming hot cheetos fan. As a kid, I liked cheese puff things more than crunchy cheetos. And I’m such a baby when it comes to heat and spice! If things are too spicy, I feel like they just burn out my taste buds and then I can’t, well, TASTE anything.
But I had to make it at home. I don’t know exactly how that restaurant made their corn, but the way I’ve made it is incredible. Like holy flavor from heaven.
So anyway. Here I am. Covering my grilled corn on the cob in flaming hot cheetos. 2020 has brought me to my knees. And brought me to this.
Let me tell you how insanely good it is. I mean, it is GOOD.
First up, let’s talk about the components:
It’s sweet from the corn.
Creamy and cheesy from the cotija lime mayo.
Spicy and crunchy from the cheetos coating.
Seriously, EVERYTHING you want in one bite? This is it.
I’ve made this recipe a few times over the years, but I was “embarrassed” to share the full “recipe” since it uses the cheetos. 2020 has tossed all embarrassment out the window. You may have seen me post it on instagram stories last summer, but this year I decided that it HAD to have its own space here. It’s just so incredibly good, regardless of how trashed up the concept may be.
Here’s how it goes down:
Grill your corn. Or heck, even roast it. Doesn’t matter to me. I love the charred, smoky bite that you get from a grilled ear of corn. But whatever works! Just cook it.
Then, slather it with a mixture of mayo, crumbled cotija cheese and lime zest. This is good enough to eat with a spoon. Super flavorful! Spread it all over the ear of corn because it acts as “glue” (ew?) for the cheetos.
I know, I know. I still can’t get over the cheetos either.
Then, roll it in the cheetos crumbs. Add a sprinkle of cotija, a spritz of lime.
And you’ve arrived. TRY IT!
Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn
Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn
- 6 ears of corn
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 lime, zest freshly grated (you can use the juice to spritz after)
- 2 cups flaming hot cheetos
- Preheat your grill to the highest setting. Shuck the corn (I left the husk at the bottom for photos, but honestly, it’s messy to eat this way!). I don’t use olive oil or anything here - I find that it browns nicely on the grill and there is enough flavor with everything else!
- Place the corn on the grill grates and cook until charred and golden, rotating every few minutes. My corn takes 10 to 15 minutes total, maybe a bit less for smaller ears.
- While the corn is grilling, stir together the mayo, cotija cheese and lime zest.
- Place the cheetos in the bowl of your food processor and pulse until small crumbs remain (or place them in a sealed bag and crush them!). Place the crumbs on a plate that is large enough to roll the ears of corn in.
- Remove the corn from the grill and spread the cotija mayo (about 2 tablespoons each) all over the ears of corn. Roll the corn through the crushed cheetos. Sprinkle with extra cotija cheese. Serve immediately with fresh lime for spritzing!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Hate how much I love it.
8 Comments on “Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn!”
Pingback: Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn – Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn – recipequicks
It’s been awhile since we’ve seen a truly trashed up recipe from you and I am HERE FOR IT! These look so good! In my opinion it’s important to have fun with food and let it give you a sense of escapism, especially because we won’t be wandering very far for the foreseeable future. Thank you!
P.S. Longtime reader here- I remember your trashed up virtual baby shower!! :D
Yummmmmmm! When you cook the corn on the grill, do you leave the lid open or closed?
you’re right…this does deserve it’s own space. thanks so much for making me drool today. we do this with chicken breast for spicy sandwiches.
Oh man, I actually LOVE flaming hot cheetos but somehow developed an allergy to the seasoning (is it seasoning? IDK, whatever that stuff is) in recent years. I treated myself to a bag of them one day and each time I tried to eat a couple of cheetos my throat got itchy, and even my tongue started to swell. Freaked me out, so I sadly stay away now. I will have to live vicariously through you and this awesome-looking corn!! :)
Pingback: Wallflower Weekly Finds, 277 - Cooking with a Wallflower
Pingback: Flaming Hot Cheetos Grilled Corn! – moms getting fit
Absolute hands down HIT at the lake this weekend! Yum!!!!!