Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken.
This mozzarella chicken is stuffed with cheese, baked in a fire roasted tomato sauce and served with a parmesan herb orzo. It’s cozy, comforting and super delicious!
If you need a quintessential cozy, satisfying meal for dinner tonight, I’ve got you!
WE LOVE THIS. This heavenly mozzarella stuffed chicken breast is baked in a skillet of fire roasted tomatoes and served over my parmesan herb orzo. It’s delicious and a huge crowd pleaser. Major comfort food!
I know, I know, I’m an orzo freak! And I can’t stop making different recipes. I promise this it the last one for awhile, so eat it up.
We are very Thanksgiving leftover-ed out over here. I’m craving all the flavors that AREN’T turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, and a cheesy chicken with tomato sauce fits the bill perfectly.
I’m always trying to create new and exciting meals that our family can enjoy during the holiday months – but ones that don’t include the usual holiday foods and flavors. For us, this usually includes something marinara sauce-based or a big winter salad.
These are the things that we crave during the busy weeks in a crazy season, and bonus points if they come together quickly too.
This is one of those meals that everyone in the house loves. The chicken is tender and juicy, it’s filled with melty mozzarella and the fire roasted sauce comes together so quickly. My parmesan orzo is served on the side which complements the chicken perfectly.
And then I like to do a big house salad for our vegetable, because there is nothing better than cheesy chicken and a vinagery salad on the side.
This chicken is also versatile: you can serve with the orzo and a salad, you can chop it up and have it on a salad, or you could even make little sliders with it and do sandwiches. Do not worry – the mozzarella will ooze out into the sauce a bit, but that is the best part. It’s like a big slice of cheesy pizza, you scoop it out and the melty cheese with come with it. Spoon some sauce over it and it’s drool worthy.
Here’s how it comes together!
I slice a pocket in the side of each chicken breast and fill it with fresh mozzarella. Then, I season the chicken all over.
The chicken gets browned in the skillet and then takes a little rest on the plate. I throw a can of fire roasted tomatoes and some garlic in to create a quick sauce. Once that’s done, the chicken goes back in!
I bake it for just a few minutes until everything is warmed and cooked through. While that happens, I make a batch of my parmesan orzo. This orzo is on repeat constantly at our house. It’s so easy, goes with just about anything and everyone loves it.
The chicken is done and it’s bubbly and hot. The mozzarella will melt out a bit, but that’s okay! Serve the chicken with a few spoonfuls of sauce on top – along with the parmesan orzo on the side. I like to sprinkle on some extra parm (who doesn’t?!) and top with chopped fresh basil or even parsley. Just something green for a hit of freshness.
If you don’t want a salad with this chicken, I also love to do my parmesan roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus. Brussels sprouts work too!
And dinner is served.
Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut a pocket in the side of the chicken breast. Season the chicken all over (and inside!) with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil.
- Cut 4 pieces of mozzarella and stick them in the pocket of each piece of chicken. We will use the rest of the mozzarella in the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook on both sides until browned and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and transfer it to a plate.
- Add the can of fire roasted tomatoes to the same skillet. If you don’t like chunky sauce, you can blend the tomatoes before adding (this is what I do!).
- Place the chicken back in the skillet, in the sauce. Tear up the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle it around. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove and sprinkle with parmesan and fresh basil. Serve with parmesan orzo and a salad!
The cozy plate.