Baked Vodka Sauce Gnocchi with Burrata.
This baked vodka sauce gnocchi is such a dream meal! A super saucy, delicious vodka sauce baked full of cloud-like gnocchi pillows, topped with burrata cheese. Baked until bubbly and melty and delicious!
There are no other words. Saucy baked gnocchi with tons of melty burrata cheese, lots of parmesan and all the flavor?
I am so here for it.
This is my Valentine’s Day dream. Actually, this dish is my valentine. Yes. That’s how it goes.
Baked gnocchi is such a fantastic dish. Those little potato pillows are like clouds swimming in sauce and covered with cheese. It comes second only to our favorite sheet pan gnocchi dish, which is just too easy to pass up.
The other baked gnocchi I make often is this sun dried tomato version. Ohhhh is it wonderful too. And so easy!
I don’t ever cook the gnocchi when I’m making this dish. It goes right into the oven in the sauce and cooks so super quickly, that you don’t need to worry about boiling it before. Simple!
So here’s how I do it!
I make a batch of my vodka pasta sauce. Which we looooooove. I make it all the time. It’s a big request in this house.
Then I toss the (uncooked) gnocchi right in the sauce. Sometimes I do a pound of regular gnocchi and a pound of mini. I love the mix! I top it with a few balls of burrata cheese, torn apart of course. Some parmesan.
Bake it until bubbly and melty and cheesy.
This is pure cozy comfort food. It screams it’s-cold-outside-and-I-need-a-saucy-pasta-blanket. With extra cheese.
I love baked pasta dishes like this for a few reasons. First, they are obviously delicious. Second, they can be a side dish OR a main dish. I love that about them. Serve with a big salad and some bread for a whole meal.
Or serve alongside some roasted chicken and vegetables as a side.
This is also a great way to please everyone during dinner! When I make something like this, it’s usually divided up that way in our family. A few of us eat it as the meal, others eat it as the side. It’s perfect.
Of course, leftovers are delish. As usual.
This reminds me of some of my favorite gnocchi ever at one of our favorite restaurants. Lots of favorites today! The gnocchi bread bowl at DiAnoia’s is absolutely wild. Their gnocchi is huge, the soft pillows are so tender and fresh and it is literally swimming in the sauciest, cheesiest mixture all piled high in a bowl of BREAD.
Yes. In a bowl of bread. It’s indulgent and dreamy and so so fantastic.
This gnocchi reminds me so much of that – the creamy sauce, the melty cheese, all of it. It’s a must try!
Baked Vodka Sauce Gnocchi Recipe
Baked Vodka Sauce Gnocchi with Burrata
- 1 cup reserved pasta water, or substitution, listed below
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons vodka, (I like Tito’s)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 pounds uncooked gnocchi
- 8 ounces burrata cheese, pulled apart
- fresh basil, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make a starchy pasta water without cooking pasta, combine 1 cup of water with ½ teaspoon of cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring it to a boil in a saucepan, then turn off the heat!
- Heat the butter in a 10 to 12-inch oven-safe saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the shallots and garlic with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions soften. Add in the tomato paste and stir, cooking for 5 minutes. The color will darken - this is where the flavor is!
- Stream in the vodka and stir, scraping the brown bits and flavor from the bottom. Stir in ½ cup of the reserved (or makeshift) pasta water. Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan, stirring until the cheese melts. Taste and season the sauce with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the uncooked gnocchi. Pull apart the burrata cheese and place it all over the gnocchi. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melty and bubbly. Serve, topped with parmesan and fresh basil.