Blue Cheese BLTs.
The perfect summer sandwich – a blue cheese BLT! Marinated tomatoes with blue cheese dressing, piles of shredded lettuce and crispy bacon served on toast. So delicious and flavorful!
Blue cheese is about to make our BLT better!!
If you’re a blue cheese lover like I am, you will adore this sandwich. Marinated tomatoes, crispy, crunchy bacon, shredded lettuce piled high with homemade blue cheese dressing on toast. The best summer sandwich!
One of my favorite BLTs in the whole world is from Lake Street Market in Boyne City. It’s so delicious – not only because it has avocado and perfectly crisp bacon, but because the lettuce is shredded. It makes the sandwich so much better, in my opinion.
So I take that up a notch and make a blue cheese dressing, which goes on the BLT and also gets somewhat mixed into the shredded lettuce.
The combination is incredible. So much texture, so crunchy, no huge pieces of lettuce falling out – it really is divine.
I’m all about those layers of flavor.
This is how I make it!
I start by marinating the tomatoes. You can do this for a few hours or even just a few minutes. Marinating them is key because the flavor will be unmatched.
While the tomatoes marinate, I make the blue cheese dressing. It’s a quickie dressing with crumbled blue cheese folded in. I love to use this on everything. It’s great on burgers, as a veggie dip, even for chips.
Oh, I fry up the bacon too! Just an essential part of the BLT…
I divide the blue cheese dressing in half, then I toss all the shredded lettuce into one of the halves. Toss, toss, toss.
Then it’s time to combine.
I love to use any toast for this (and, well, everything) and get it nice and golden. I use the remaining blue cheese dressing as a sauce. So, I spread some of the blue cheese on the toast, top it with a ton of the blue cheese shredded lettuce – like, pile it on. It’s crisp and refreshing and you can add so much more here since it’s shredded. Then, the tomatoes, bacon and so on.
This might be the perfect sandwich?
It’s crunchy, creamy, crispy, tangy, savory – everything you want the best summer lunch to be!
Blue Cheese BLTs
Blue Cheese BLTs
- 2 homegrown tomatoes, sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried italian seasoning
- 1 pound bacon, cooked
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 ounces shredded lettuce
- bread/toast, for serving
- Slice the tomatoes and place them in a 9x13 baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning until combined. Pour it over the tomatoes. Cover the dish and stick the tomatoes in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or even longer. I flip the tomato slices a few times while marinating!
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s crispy and the fat is rendered.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, blue cheese, lemon juice and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer half of the blue cheese dressing to another jar or bowl.
- Add the shredded lettuce into the large bowl that has the remaining blue cheese dressing. Use kitchen tongs to toss it together until combined.
- To assemble the sandwiches, toast your bread. Spread some of the blue cheese dressing on one side. Top with a huge heaping pile of the dressed shredded lettuce. Add a tomato slice or two. If you like, you can drizzle a bit of the tomato marinade on top! This makes for a messier but DELICIOUS sandwich. Top with the bacon. Finish with the other slice of toast and serve!