Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Soup.
This creamy chicken and broccoli soup is delicious and easy, perfect for a busy weeknight! It’s satisfying, loaded with vegetables and full of flavor!
It’s a soup day!
This creamy chicken and broccoli soup is a hug in a bowl. Creamy soup with lots of vegetables, broccoli florets, shredded chicken and a hit of both parmesan and lemon. So delicious for the chilly season!
This is the soup recipe that made my entire family fall in love with soup.
Sure, they like soup. They don’t LIKE like it like I do. There is no infatuation with soup on their end. That’s for me alone. I could live on soup!
But this soup broke the mold.
Think of it as a cross between chicken noodle soup (without the noodles) and broccoli cheddar soup (without the cheddar).
I know. It sounds weird.
It doesn’t even sound that good.
But when the whole thing comes together, it’s perfect. Creamy, cozy and everything you want in a soup. The parmesan rind adds a wonderful depth of flavor – a rich nuttiness that only parmesan can. The spritz of lemon adds a fresh brightness. The soup is soft but textured, easy and comes together fast.
The kids and Eddie adore this soup. They have multiple servings when I make it, and this is definitely the first soup that Jordan (who is two!) enjoyed. Now he does a happy soup dance every time I even mention soup, because he loves this so much.
You can’t beat how easy this is. I almost always use a rotisserie chicken because it’s simple and tastes great. If I’m going to make this later in the week, I will also chop my onions, celery and carrots and keep them in a sealed jar in the fridge.
It comes together so quickly if you do that.
It’s also a great clean-out-the-fridge soup! I use those classic chicken soup vegetables, the onions, carrots and celery. And of course, broccoli is the star of the show here. But if you have any other veggies hanging out in the fridge, you can toss them in too.
I love to thicken this soup using a slurry instead of making a roux. I find that a slurry thickens soups so nicely and evenly. And also, quickly.
This is one of my favorites because of how reminiscent it is of broccoli cheddar. That’s one of my greatest soup loves. And this recipe reminds me so much of that – the texture, even a little bit of the flavor. But it’s lighter and even a little more satisfying with the chicken.
This is always an excellent excuse to serve broccoli.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Soup
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot and over medium heat. Add in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables softed, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes. Add in the parmesan rind, the shredded chicken and the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
- Combine the milk and flour in a shaker cup (or even in a measuring cup and use a whisk) for 30 seconds, until the flour is fully incorporated. Stream the slurry into the soup, stirring the entire time.
- Let the soup simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often - it will thicken and cook down a bit.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Spritz in the lemon juice and stir.
- Serve immediately!
Best bread dipper too.