I figured there was not a better party favorite to kick off my appetizer segment than some good ole’ buffalo chicken dip. There are a million variations out there, and I’ve been making this one for about 6 years. It never fails.

This is one of the most-requested snacks at our house. We have even been known to eat this for dinner. Which my waistline just loves.

The key is combining ranch and blue cheese, and using buffalo wing sauce, not just plain hot sauce.

IMG_2268

Occasionally when making this just for the 2 of us, I will use low-fat ingredients. If you are making it for a group, I suggest using all full-fat ingredients. The low-fat cheese doesn’t melt as well, and the cream cheese and dressings don’t combine as smoothly.

I combine it all into a bowl and use an electric hand mixer to beat until smooth.

IMG_2273

I always boil my chicken because I think it’s best for shredding, but you can broil or bake it if you’d like.

I fold in the chicken and some of the shredded cheese.

IMG_2274

In this case I grated my own cheese and used colby jack, since I had it on hand. Many times I’ve used a bag of shredded cheese which is one of the reasons this dip is so easy and convenient!

I top it with the rest of the cheese.

IMG_2275

And bake until it is heated through and the cheese on top is bubbly.

We like to serve it with a plethora of dippers.

IMG_2305

Bread, pretzels, tortilla chips, crackers, and celery are just a few.

I don’t even like chicken that much, and I can down a big baking dish of this deliciousness.

IMG_2307

Buffalo Chicken Dip

2-8 0z blocks of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup of blue cheese dressing

1/2 cup of ranch dressing

1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce

3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

In a large bowl combine softened cream cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, and buffalo wing sauce. Using a hand mixer, mix until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Fold in shredded chicken and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Pour into a baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until dip is warmed through.

Serve with tortilla chips, bread, crackers, and celery.

IMG_2308

IMG_2309

This is sure to please a crowd. Especially of crowd of stinky, meat-lovin’ boys.

Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

68 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Buffalo Chicken Dip.”

Kelly — November 22, 2009 @ 11:37 am

where was this post on tuesday when i was making it for my tupperware party?! lol. i don’t like blue cheese though. ever mess with the quantities? the one i used was basically the same except i only used 1 block of cream cheese and 2 pieces of chicken. oh and minus the blue cheese, duh.

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

I just make a bigger quantity since it goes so fast, that’s why I use that much.

katie — November 22, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

YESSS all of my favorite things in ONE DIP!

Shelley — November 22, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

omg that looks so good!

Caitlin — November 22, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

I love blue cheese dip! A place in Boston serves it til late…perfect after drinking & dancing mmmm….

The Candid RD — November 22, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

Seriously, an amazing looking dip! I completely agree with you about using low fat ingredients. When you are just making food for yourself or you and your hubby, it’s ok to use the low fat, but in a big group, full fat is best in case the ingredients don’t work well! Low fat can mean not so good in recipes….

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 22, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

I literally JUST made this dip on Friday for my Mommy Happy Hour!

It’s such a huge hit!

Evan Thomas — November 22, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

This is one of my favorite dishes. I’ve scooped it into a flatout wrap and had it for lunch before. It’s just too good

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 22, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

From your last post: Make changes, not excuses.
    LOVE THAT.
    With your clients, do you ever have a hard time giving tough love? Maybe as a trainer it’s easier. As a yoga teacher, part of me wants to be extremely compassionate and not push, but some people need a push. A big one. And tough love to boot. Such a quandary for me.

The dip looks awesome. Full of dairy, soy, and stuff I cant eat but I love the smell of wing sauce. Used to waitress and inhaled wing sauce on purpose. Love the smell just cant eat it :)

Stephanie — November 22, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! These are like my boyfriends favorite foods ever (Ranch + Blue Cheese + Frank’s = yummmmm), and to combine them into a dip is going to make him one happy camper :) I will be making this very soon, thanks again!!!

Light Delight with TouTou — November 22, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

Oh this is the first time I see it! looks very yummy ! When I read title I thought U gonna make a buffalo sauce for chicken wing, but I am so out!
    I like this recipe with shredded chickens in it. Thank you for the recipe!now I have an idea what to bring for that big party on Thursday! :D

One Healthy Apple — November 22, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

Oh wow- my husband would probably marry me all over again for this recipe! I’m gonna give it a go soon!

Joanna Sutter — November 22, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

Surely I can make this without the chicken (since I don’t eat it). Hot sauce? One of my favorite things. Ever.

Bianca — November 22, 2009 @ 8:37 pm

looks very tasty!

Priyanka — November 22, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

Yum..I love this! I’ll be trying it soon! I normally make stuff full fat when I am making it for others especially if it is critical for the taste and texture!

sophia — November 22, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

omg. Spread that on my own liver and I’ll eat it! Wow!

Erica — November 23, 2009 @ 12:26 am

I’ve seen something like this at a party and heard it was just amazing! Josh is a big fan of anything buffalo so I may have to make it for him

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — November 23, 2009 @ 5:41 am

mmm that looks delish!! the BF loves buffalo ANYTHING…what boy doesnt? haha

thanks for the recipe, Jes!!

Nicole (dishin') — November 23, 2009 @ 8:15 am

I love this stuff! Whenever I made a similar dip, it’s gone within minutes. Yours looks great!

Sarah Jayne — November 23, 2009 @ 8:55 am

I made a dip very much like this on Friday! It was ridiculously good- an overwhelming hit! I served it with toasted slices of my homemade foccaccia….SUPERB! I like the twist your version has- using salad dressings. I just used bleu cheese crumbles in mine.

dawn — November 23, 2009 @ 9:20 am

oh man I would eat all of this in one sitting! dangerous, but so worth it.

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — November 23, 2009 @ 9:29 am

One of my groups of friends insist on making this for just about EVERY party we have together… so that should tell you how great it is! BTW, we usually make it in a crock pot, which simplifies it down to almost no work at all. Just dump it all in, turn it on, and give it a few stirs along the way. It takes longer, but the stuff is usually made for parties anyway, so you probably have other things that you need to work on, and this stuff can cook away while you catch up on everything else.

Scorpio Woman — November 23, 2009 @ 10:40 am

It looks delicious. You made a typo with 2-80 ounces cream cheese. LOL Or unless it’s a really big recipe ;) Thanks for the recipe. I’ll have to try it soon. :)

Low — November 23, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

Holy amazingness! I love hot wing sauce. I would definitely eat that even though I don’t eat meat haha.

Angela — April 28, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Another great recipe!! Made it for myself this evening using ground chicken, turned out awesome. Thanks for another great meal :)

Heather — June 14, 2010 @ 11:03 am

would you judge me if i made this tonight and ate it for dinner every day this week?

what if i only ate it with celery.
    and maybe bread.
    and crackers.
    or just by the spoonfull?

you’d like to join me?
    good. it’s settled.

Joee — December 1, 2010 @ 3:15 am

Does it taste really hot or anything?

• Jessica — December 1st, 2010 @ 3:22 am

Nope! If you use Frank’s Buffalo Wing sauce and not Red Hot, it tastes like wing sauce but not spicy.

Tracy — December 27, 2010 @ 10:05 pm

I made this dip, but left out the chicken and did not bake it. I used the mixed cream cheese, dressing, and hot sauce mixture as a sauce/spread on breaded chicken strips. I served it at a dinner party and everyone loved it!

Ashley — April 10, 2011 @ 2:01 am

I’m a serious chicken wing dip addict and I’ve made this recipe (minus the blue cheese) many times, but with one big change. Yogurt Cheese. Less fat, but all the flavor of cream cheese. Now I can eat even more chicken wing dip!

Elaine — June 7, 2011 @ 4:06 am

I’ve never used the Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce before. I read above that it’s not spicy. What would you recommend to make it spicy? Spicier the better in my house! Thanks in advice for any tips you have.

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 6:45 am

Frank’s might have a spicy flavor – I can’t remember – but if they don’t just use the regular stuff and add a few pinches of cayenne pepper!

Dawn Hewlett — June 30, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Thank you for posting this! I have been a half ranch, half blue cheese-er for years and even people who dont like blue cheese devour this dish! Then they dont believe me when I say its in there….lol! I also serve with extra hot sauce (for my crazy friends) and I have used those cooked rotisserie chickens when I am short on time…this recipe is fantastic!

Meghan — July 26, 2011 @ 11:37 am

How many people would this serve at a party?

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

I think it depends on what else you have to eat – for instance this has been served at large parties of 15+ people, but my brother and husband can also eat this entire thing as a meal.

Cam — November 20, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Have you ever tried this is a crock pot?

Hilary — January 23, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Confirmed. It is amazing!

Michele — February 22, 2012 @ 10:29 am

We call this crack chicken because it is very addicting…I do add green onions to the mix. Love it and serve it often. It has become a favorite for everyone!

Tara — May 24, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Do you know if this is good cold too?

Jillian — September 9, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I made this for friends who were over to watch the UGA/Mizzou game last night and it was a HUGE hit! The best buffalo chicken dip I’ve ever had!

Jessica — September 14, 2012 @ 11:43 am

Thank you for this recipe. I made it for a potluck at work and OMG SOMEONE ELSE MADE BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP TOO!!!! BUT…. Mine was better. Booya!

Kay-Lee — October 27, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

Thank you so much for posting this amazing recipe! My husband and his friends have all said that its the best thing they’ve ever had, which is pretty much the best compliment you could get!

Samantha C — October 28, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I love love love these buffalo sliders at this bbq place in New rochelle, New York called Smoke house bar and grill. Their sliders are just like this dip just on mini buns!! its so good…but i didnt think it had cream cheese in it, enless you cant even tell…but if i were to use your recipe i would make little sliders out of it. And which is your favorite kind of ranch and blue cheese to use? because tasting hidden valley ranch and then kraft i prefer kraft surprisingly…same goes for the blue cheese…i find the kraft to be not that strong tasting which i like

Mahtab — November 5, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

I made this last night for Sunday football and it was so delicious! Can’t wait to make it again!

1. Pingback: The Best Smashed Potatoes. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: I Love Sparkles. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Holiday Appetizers 101: Gorgonzola Stuffed Olives. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: christmas eve shenanigans. « meals & moves

5. Pingback: last monday of 2009. « meals & moves

6. Pingback: last monday of 2009. « meals & moves

7. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Burgers. | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Holiday Appetizers | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: the eve. « meals & moves

10. Pingback: football food. « meals & moves

11. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: snOMG….among other things. « Wife, From Scratch

13. Pingback: It’s a great day to be great baby! | Fit For Fargo

14. Pingback: O.M.G. & Day 3 | Crashly Conquers The World

15. Pingback: Buffalo Blue Cheese Spinach dip « Zesty appetite

16. Pingback: Si j’avais les ailes d’un… buffle! « Gloutonne Cosmopolite

17. Pingback: Babies & Birthday Parties « Spite or Flight

18. Pingback: Mid-week Crisis: Never trust an elk leading an empire | Spoonlighting

19. Pingback: Oh, you aren’t seeing Batman tonight either? Let’s drown our sorrows in buffalo cheese dip together. | Spoonlighting

20. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Dip. | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Dip. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

22. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Dip. | Lifestyle Pins

23. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Dip « What about this?

24. Pingback: Tailgating Tips & Recipes – Life a la Wife