Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

We have another super easy and quick appetizer here! :)

Have you ever seen these mini rye breads? They are near the deli counter and gourmet cheese in my grocery store.

My mom started making this appetizer last year. It is so simple and fast, but tastes delicious and unique.

IMG_2658

You can use any spread. We like this gorgonzola spread. I think spinach and artichoke would be incredible. Flavored hummus would probably also be great.

IMG_2659

IMG_2660

You could also top these with a bit of cheese or preseves. Or a chunk of brie!!

Make a slice of rye with gourmet brie on top. Then go out and buy some bigger clothes.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll want to eat it all. And you will.

All you have to do is layer some spread on the rye breads, and pop them into the oven for about 10-15 minutes.

IMG_2661

IMG_2662

Talk about the perfect last minute appetizer. And as long as your pay attention, you could use the broiler – it would probably take 5 minutes or less.

Even better – you can just throw them all onto a plate when they are done.

IMG_2664

Nothin’ fancy, because they are just going to be gobbled up anyway.

This cheese gets all bubbly and browned. It’s my most favorite way to eat cheese.

IMG_2665

I always eat the entire top of my Lobster Mac myself. I hoard it before anyone can have it.

Have you tried that yet? It makes an excellent holiday dish.

Mini Rye Breads

1 package mini rye breads

1 container cheese-flavored spread (I used gorgonzola)

Preheat oven to 400.

Lay mini rye breads on a baking dish and layer a tablespoon of spread on them. Bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

IMG_2666

There are still more appetizers to come.

IMG_2668

Check out my guest post on One Fit Foodie.

And on a mushy note: thank you all so much for reading. It means the world to me. :)

Have you ventured to my fitness section yet? Starting in January, I’ll be posting a new challenge for us all. There is no better way to stay motivated and accountable than with each other’s help!

29 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Mini Rye Breads.”

Kristen @ SimplySavor — December 10, 2009 @ 10:36 am

aww thank YOU for writing such a great blog :) looove this recipe…anything with melted brie is good in my book! thanks for sharing!

VeggieGirl — December 10, 2009 @ 10:58 am

LOVE your blog! :)

Erica — December 10, 2009 @ 10:58 am

GREAT idea for an easy Christmas app. I might make these and bring them to my moms! Thank you (as always) for another fabulous idea

Kelly B. — December 10, 2009 @ 11:00 am

What an easy appetizer! I have my work Holiday Party this Sunday and these will be PERFECT! Thanks!!

caitlin — December 10, 2009 @ 11:04 am

i want – no, I NEED – you to cook for me.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 10, 2009 @ 11:12 am

I love those little rye breads!

Jillian — December 10, 2009 @ 11:14 am

we make these! But usually add some cooked sausage to the cheese mixture. :)

Sarah Jayne — December 10, 2009 @ 11:18 am

MMMMMMM gorgonzola.

I’m sold!

These look great. Simple things usually taste the most delicious to me..knowing they required the least amount of MY time ! :)

rebeccasubbiah — December 10, 2009 @ 11:43 am

Jessica you won the give away ! drop me a line with your address

rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

Rebecca

Ellen — December 10, 2009 @ 11:58 am

Ohhh, this sounds delicious! I’m actually going to a holiday party this weekend and have been stressing about what to make because I was instructed to bring a savory dish. (Sweets are my specialty). I just might try this!

Shelley — December 10, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

if i ever entertain- i will def use these :)

The Candid RD — December 10, 2009 @ 12:54 pm

Yum, nice switch from sweet to savory! I’m not a big fan of rye, but with that delicious cheese spread on top I couldn’t resist!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — December 10, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

I really need to start jumping into your fitness section more often because every time I come to your blog I think “How the heck can she make all this stuff so frequently and look that great?!”

One Healthy Apple — December 10, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

I used to make my mom buy me those rye breads because they were cute and mini- not much has changed in my food preferences!

This looks like an amazing recipe. Thank YOU for posting. I obviously love your blog.

Nicole — December 10, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

Anything with gorgonzola…yummmm!

YankSkeez — December 10, 2009 @ 2:51 pm

Those mini ryes look bangin’! I am a sucker for gorgonzola – on pasta, flatbread, salad, polenta….love it! Thanks for the recipe and really dig your site!!!!!

Tracey — December 10, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

These are yummy and easy to make. I always have the small bread and a cheese spread on hand. This way if someone comes over I can pop these in the oven and impress them :)

We also put a meat and cheese mixture on the bread during the holidays.

janetha b — December 10, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

those are so cute!! they would be a hit at any party. so simple too. love that!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 10, 2009 @ 4:36 pm

I have always wondered what to do with those little breads – thanks for the great idea!!! Another recipe for me to bookmark :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — December 10, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

As always, the dairy and gluten look faboooosh!!!! I would love some!

Enjoyed your comment about pushing harder and you can always lay off if it’s too much but cannot increase intensity if the class is a bore. Hear ya!

And thanks for your vote. And your ever supportive presence on my bloggie :)

We’re off for a trip. In like 4 hrs. If I am not as good with my commenting the next few weeks, please forgive :) You know Im reading and loving you..always!

lynn @ the actors diet — December 10, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

i love mini anything, especially with a little cheese…

Light Delight with TouTou — December 10, 2009 @ 6:19 pm

That cheese almost like a scrambled egg :-D bet its really tasty, my favorite for cheese too :-D

Abby's Vegan Eats — December 10, 2009 @ 6:55 pm

I enjoy reading your blog!!! ANd I loved your guest post for Naomi… that soup looked super delicious!

Have a good one, Jess.. stay warm!

Andria — December 10, 2009 @ 7:24 pm

You know it’s not fair to tempt a pregnant woman, this late at night. Right?!?! ;)

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) — December 10, 2009 @ 8:44 pm

So easy and fast!!!! Love it!

Liz — December 10, 2009 @ 9:08 pm

Oh my goodness…simple but amazing..I’m thinking that creme brulee french toast would make a good appetizer…and snack, and dinner and dessert…

sophia — December 10, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

Oh CUTE!!! I love the cheese broiled on top…Mm…I could pop several of these into my mouth at once!

katie — December 11, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

those are SOO CUTE! cheese on bread is amazing fo real

Devan G Newman — December 11, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

oh yum yum!
    that bread looks amazing!