Since I was young, one of my most favorite snacks has been tortilla chips with melted cheese.

No, not queso dip.

Cheese that is literally melted on top of the tortilla chips in the microwave.

Weird? Maybe.

Tasty? Yes.

Gross? That is subjective.

Sure, over the years my tastes have refined a bit. I have gone from boring, white tortilla chips and bagged cheddar cheese to organic blue corn chips with gouda, gruyere and fontina.

I recently found these new-to-me, hand-made yellow corn and whole grain La Tortilla Factory tortillas.

The simple things excite me.

These are different than the whole wheat ones I usually get. They are slightly thicker and more flexible.

Oh. . . and insanely delicious.

So, I cut them into fours, spritzed with some olive oil, sprinkled on some sea salt, and baked them.

The result?

Crispy, thick, yellow corn chips!

I topped them with every delicious ingredient I could find in my fridge. I love the different textures – chewy, creamy and gooey!

These protein-packed nachos keep me much fuller than the 3 or 4 plates of chips with melted cheese that I like to snack on.

I suppose you could also add more vegetables. You know, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Speaking of veggies, Sabrina is holding an I love salad! challenge.

Raise your hand if you think this challenge would be perfect for me.

Healthy Loaded Nachos

Serves 2

4 whole grain tortillas

5 oz shredded chicken breast

1/4 cup black beans

2 tablespoons enchilada sauce

1/4 cup low-fat, shredded monterey jack cheese

2 tablespoons chunky salsa

2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt

2 tablespoons low-fat refried beans

2 slices avocado, chopped

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut tortillas into triangles, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Let cool.

Top with chicken, cheese, black beans, enchilada sauce, and salsa. Add a scoop of refried beans and greek yogurt. Top with avocado.

Nachos that taste delicious and are heart and waistline friendly?

Sign me up!

98 Responses to “Loaded Baked Nachos – The Healthy Way!”

homecookedem — April 16, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Andrew loves making homemade tortilla chips for us!! I will have to pick this brand up, I’ve just recently seen them at our grocery store. Love nachos!! :)

Kristie — April 16, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Nachos are freaking awesome. We have ALWAYS done straight up shredded melted cheese on our nachos around here. BEST way.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 16, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

I’ve been slacking on blog commenting because I’ve been SO tired this week, but I’ve been reading and loving every one of your recipes, as usual. I love making nachos. I never think to use plain greek yogurt in my recipes, I always just eat it as breakfast! I think I need to make this this weekend.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 16, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

your food photography is simply spectacular. always.

and your nite last nite. OMG. Was thinking bout you all day. Hope your day is calm. I had your night…all day today. Real estate stuff, single parenthood while scott’s on a trip, etc…yeah.

xoxo

Karissa @ CardioFoodie — April 16, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

Oh goodness, that looks like some healthy Tex Mex to me! Great Friday night food!

Taylor — April 16, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

Your blog makes my mouth water. Every morning I read it while I procrastinate, and I wish I could be as good of a cook as you are! I know your instructions may seem so simple, but I am soooo kitchen-challenged you would not believe. I am moving into my first apartment this summer, which means I will be on my own cooking for the first time. I plan to attempt a lot of your recipes so be expecting tons of questions!!

Love How Sweet!!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 16, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

I have been dreaming of LOADED nachos for days now. I’m salivating over yours!! WOW They look AMAZING! Totally making some this weekend. I hope I can resist them long enough to take a picture. :D

Jenn

Cheryl Cormier — April 16, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

yum! perfect for a friday night!

Cara — April 16, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

awesome – I must look for some new tortillas.

I think you should submit this for your salad – after all, who says a salad must have lettuce?

Erica — April 16, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Those look great and super healthy too! I would submit this for the salad challenge!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — April 16, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Yes PLEASE. Who doesn’t love nachos? I especially love them loaded with avocado and beans. Pulled pork would be a good option too, for us carnivores ;)

p.s. I’ve been meaning to ask you. Do you have a threaded comment-reply plug-in? If so, which one?! I messed around with about 45o87 different ones and none of them seemed to work for me…

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — April 16, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

can’t beat that! I love making “bad” foods good. There are so many ways to tweak different recipes

Kelly J — April 17, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I made these last night….they were delicious!

Thanks for the idea!

Sarah.j.s. — April 17, 2010 @ 11:41 am

*raises hand* That challenge *is* perfect for you. ;)

I’m still drooling over the nachos. Mmmmm….

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ — April 17, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

I love that idea for the nacho salad with the baked tortilla chips. The chips looked thick and crispy and delicious.

Pure2raw twins — April 17, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Looks good. I have a confession…when I was a kid cheese and nachos were my favorite thing…well actually I just really ate the cheese. I never liked all the other toppings, but who knows now I have totally different taste buds.

Fit Chick in the City — April 17, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

I can taste the avocado from here. Those look really really good!

Alliwoo — April 17, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

I just happened upon your blog and am loving. it. every. day!

We love nachos around here! I often call then “kitchen sink nachos” cuz they usually have everything but the kitchen sink on them!

Jessica @ The Cooking Chick — April 17, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

These look delicious – that avocado has my mouth watering!

april — April 17, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

Holy cow, those look like they came from a restaurant!

Amy (Up and Running!) — April 17, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

These look SO good! And you are so not weird for loving melted-cheese nachos…that was my after-school snack almost every day when I was a kid! I’m glad I came across your blog and can finally enjoy a healthier version!

Amanda — April 17, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

Girl… your popularity is skyrocketing!! You are wonderful! This is a fantastic recipe… cant wait to try it!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Shannon, Tropical Eats — April 17, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

mmm great recipe! I love the healthy version you created :)

Brittany — April 17, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

These looks amazing lady! I love making my own baked tortilla chips or pita chips. So yummy.

Brittany — April 17, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

These look amazing lady! I love making my own baked tortilla chips or pita chips. So yummy.

Jessica Lee — April 17, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

I make tortilla chips the same way. I discovered this by accident. I was trying to make a melt once and left the tortilla in the toaster oven too long and it got crispy. So one time when I made fajitas and didn’t have “chips” to go with the salsa, I thought of my “accident” just baked the tortillas and it worked! My bf didn’t know the difference until I told him that I “made” the tortilla chips!

EmLue — April 18, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. This was posted Friday night. Did you watch Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution? Cause I am so, totally getting dejavu. Or however you spell it.
    Btw, cheese melted on nachos is a favorite of our family, too. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 18, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I absolutely LOVE nachos! In Canada, the only way they come is with cheese shredded and melted on top. I love them with LOTS of toppings and LOTS of cheese!!!!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — April 19, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

wow…these look SO good. I love that the tortillas were baked. such a nice little touch!

Michelle — April 19, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Lisa — April 20, 2010 @ 8:27 am

Oh, these look delicious. I hope I can find those tortillas somewhere, they look perfect for making chips.

Caroline — April 20, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

YUMMM! Your homemade chips look amazing! I am making a dinner similar to this tomorrow night and even now I am so excited by looking at your gorgeous pictures!

Ingrid — July 8, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Healthy nachos have never looked so good!!

yvette — August 13, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Love your website!! I cant wait to try some of these recipes and put them up on my blog!! Looks yummy!!

Dee — August 14, 2010 @ 9:21 am

What a great idea to do with the wheat tortillas. I have just started to eat them so I am going to have the make this for my kids.

Anne — December 31, 2010 @ 2:38 am

We loved it so much that we are having it for New Year’s Eve!!! Forget the pork bring out Jessica’s Nachos!

1. Pingback: My New Favorite Snack « Yumventures